General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to change my front sprocket and have run into a roadblock. I've searched several of the threads on the site looking for the info but having come across this specific topic yet. I am having one hell of a time getting the clutch slave cylinder off in order to gain full access to the sprocket! I've got all of the bolts off with exception of the one nearest the upper left side (when facing it). It is recessed back in behind part a portion of the slave cylinder that extends out somewhere in the 10 o'clock direction. The space from the front head of the bolt and the rear of this piece that extends is so little that I am unable to fit even the smallest/shortest socket that I have in there to get on it flush. There is also not enough room (that I can see anyway) to fit the smallest open end wrench in and turn it. I can get a tiny wrench on it, but there is absolutely no room allowing for it to turn in either direction! I've got the repair manual, and looking at the 'Final drive' section where it addresses the sprocket, in the first step shown the slave cylinder is shown as removed already so it doesn't seem to help at all!

I'm using a small 1/2 craftsman socket, and I'm wondering if I went to a hardware store if maybe there is an even smaller one that I could pick up that might fit in there. If that's the case, I'm wondering if it'll even be large enough that I could still apply a decent amount of pressure to break it loose! It seems like it should be so easy to get apart, but like I said - I'm having no luck at all! I've gone back and tried a couple of times now and each time have to just set everything down and walk away before I reach a boiling point with frustration!

It's a 96 ZX7R. I'll attach a pic showing exactly what one I'm talking about. If anybody has any advice I'd LOVE it!

Attached Thumbnails ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl-img00240.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I'd try a 1/4" drive with a "u-joint" type fitting to allow you to get around the angle. Sometimes the 1/2" drives are just a bit too beefy. (Looks like the head may be starting to round-off in the photo; be careful.) You can still apply plenty of torque with the 1/4" drive, believe me. Keep us posted!!

(You DID mean a 1/2" drive and not a 1/2" socket, right? I think these bikes are metric. Using SAE instead of Metric is a recipe for rounded bolt heads.)

Last edited by jeffzx9; 04-08-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: just thinking......
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, sorry.. I meant to say 1/4" drive, not 1/2". Maybe the "u-joint" fitting is what I'm missing! I'll give it a shot after work this evening. All my other parts are coming in and all the maintanance is wrapping up.. it'd be nice to get the riding season off to a start soon!

Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

My '89 ZX7 has full access to all the bolts (not trying to rub it in). There may not be enough room to get the swivel in there, but always give it a shot. If that fails I can only think of 2 ways to get to it, Loosen the alternator and move it to get a wrench in there or remove the hydraulic line thats in the way. I can't tell from the picture if either of these options will work, but given the choice I would pull the hydraulics, you could probably stand to change the fluid anyway, and bleeding it is much easier than reseting the alternator without the tensioning tool (my belt still squeaks from time to time)

Welcome back to KF! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I'm in the process of trying to change my front sprocket and have run into a roadblock.
from your picture, you have already removed both bolts that hold the slave cylinder in place. It is a tight fit so some persuasion is needed possibly to remove the cylinder.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

LMAO, good catch Drag!
Its been so long I didnt even remember, I need to get back to my bike. If you pull/pry/hit the slave cylinder hard enough, its ready to come off, you can get the bracket thats underneath it off easy enough once its out of the way.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! You nailed it Dragone! I had no idea that was a separate piece and would come off. After going back and forth looking at the bike in front of me and the manual which shows that off already, i kind of started to figure it out. Friday night I grabbed a hammer and started tapping around the edges and could see it starting to break loose. Was definitely a tight fit!

Was a huge relief getting that off. Moving on with the srocket replacement now... which by the way I got off no problem! Luckily I had dug around on here looking for info on that front sprocket and came across a few threads detailing some of the methods to get the bolt on the front sprocket loose. Knowing what I did ahead of time made that a sinch!

Thanks again

Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

No problem brotha, dont stay away so long next time

Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, right on. Keep us up to date on your ride.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

This pic is pretty much what it's looking like right now! Far from being ready to go... but getting there!

Attached Thumbnails ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl-img00250-20100406-2241.jpg  

Quick Reply: ZX7R - Front Sprocket - Clutch Slave Cyl