General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

zx10 r help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Default zx10 r help

i just started workin at my uncles body shop and he happend to have a couple street bikes just sitting in the back collecting dust. i hooked the bike up to some jumped cables and turned it on. the fan and ligths and digital gauges turned on but when i go to crank the bike, it just makes a very fast ticking noise and the FI light comes on. as far as i knwo the bike was impouned for no insurance and has been sitting for 2 years or so. any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Don't start it!! Drain all fuel and oil; install fresh w filter. The injectors may be sludgy. Pull the (spark) plugs and shoot just a dab of light lubricant in the cylinders; just enough to coat the cylinder walls. Don't "grind" on the starter the first time. Bump the start button a few times, so the pistons can inch along and get used to the walls again without being forced. You might even need to manually spin the crank, if AFTER you try the above^, nothing seems to move in the pistons. However, since the bike is clicking and making noise like R2D2, I'd bet you're not far away from running.
Always be gentle with engines that haven't run in a few years, until they get loosened-up.
Welcome to the forums!!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Always be gentle...until they get loosened-up.
Sorry bro, where's my head today, LOL

Good advice from the jeffster, if I may add: Jump starting a bike can be bad on the electronics, best idea is to charge the battery, or buy a new one since its been sitting. Good luck with the ride, what are your plans for it?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

[QUOTEany suggestions?][/quote]

Give the bike to me, and heed the above suggestions.

I am always after a slow starter bike, you may find the 250 ninja to be faster. please do some more research on this before going further in your jumping (hopefully from a non running car), cranking without prior thought as to the rings that may be stuck in the cylinders (that can and will break while destroying the cylinder in one revolution.) Hopefully, that clicking sound is of the fuel pump. Or the clicking sound is of the starter relay not having enough voltage to start the process?

Look in the manuals section and do some reading on the 10r. It really is an ok bike to own, just give it a chance through proper understanding.

edit: Welcome to KF and stick around

Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM

thank you for the help. i didnt crank it for long. the cbr 600 he has still had the time on the guages so i figured it was just low on battery. i found out after that it had been sititting for a while. ill deff drain all fluids. i currently own a cbr 600 but im tryin to convince my uncle that if i get it running and buy new farring if i can buy it off him. if not he will probably make me sell it for him since he knows nothing about bikes

Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

what year and color is it?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 PM

2002 i beleive and its a mettalic orange color. kinda like the dodge ram daytona trucks

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(A big smile on my face..)

"I didn't crank it for long..." (SNAP, BANG, GRRRRRR.)

Honest innocence is truly the best.

Prom, go to your room....

Last edited by jeffzx9; 05-24-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: discipline Prom
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry dad

Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cpalmer3769
2002 i beleive and its a mettalic orange color. kinda like the dodge ram daytona trucks

you mean an 04 10r orange right? also do a vin check concerning the generator that tended to explode on the early ones. That should be listed in the kawi site for warranty issues.

Quick Reply: zx10 r help