General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX/ GPZ 1000! starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default ZX/ GPZ 1000! starting problem

First off iv been told its only a GPZ 1000 and later the ZX came out? Which one do i have?

Anyways i just bought a 1986 ninja 1000. Dont know a whole lot about the bike and what to know everything about it!

My problem is that it wont start up with out starting fluid? I cleaned all the carbs and everything? I dont know really what i should do. Once i get it running it seems to run fine.

Another question is that how much dose these bikes go for? Are they nice bikes or reliable? I bought mine striped down. But had all the parts besides rear tire and air filters. I bought it for 700 bucks?

Then he gave me a tire to go on the back wheel but it is a front tire. I didnt know the difference? its a 150/80-16 I know thats the right size so if you know where i could fine a cheaper tire instead of spending 180 bucks that will be great. Then i also need a butterfly for one of the carbs. I think it sat for a year or so and they got shut and someone pryed it open with a screw driver? i dont know though?

ANY INFO WILL HELP! JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE BIKES OR MY QUESTIONS!

Thanks
kevin

Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

1986 should be the zx A series. So should be a 1986 zx1000A1
A1 identification should be present by the vin number by the front forks.

Congrats on the bike!! I like the A series rides. Cool sled man.

Yep, 150/80-16 is the rear tire size. There are quite a few sites that you can look at for tires. Google motorcycle tires, etc. for example www.oldbikebarn.com has a tire for 105 bucks for the rear.

The zx10000 bikes have strong motors. Very dependable, but unfortunately a low resale value. Age/weight/performance/etc...Good bike tho!

As far as wanting to know everything about the bike, buy a repair manual. 35 bucks, and you will have all the info you need man. Great investment, old bike barn has clymer manual in stock.

I have never had to change/buy a butterfly. So I'm lost on that one. Trying to buy just a butterfly will probably prove to be difficult. Might have more look watching ebay, local junkyard, bike shop for a junk set of carbs for parts. Can you fix the current butterfly?

Your starting problem: bikes are way more picky and tempramental than cars on air/fuel ratios. One crack in a carb boot, BAM!, hard start condition can arise. Check carb boots, make sure floats are adjusted, jets are clean, and the carb sync is done properly. The manual will help you in doing this kind of maintanance on your ride. Including plugs! lol...btw, what kind of shape are the plugs in? Your bike probably calls for a non resistor ngk. Is that whats in it?

Here's a couple of links you can look at until you get your manual

www.oldbikebarn.com
www.bikebandit.com (shows schematics also)
www.ebay.com (your new best friend for parts, lol)

Any other questions, let us know man.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks alot man! I can try and bend the butterfly back but it wont be perfect. Then im glad to hear that it is a decent bike. I just really want to cruze on it but my friend has a suzuki 1450 with a strait pipe and stage 3 dyno jet kit and its also bored 30 over. Just wondering if it will keep up?
thanks
kevin

Old 04-16-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the ride, looks like BR has you covered.

Dont worry about keeping up, always ride within your comfort zone, once you exceed your limits bad things happen. Your bike has plenty of performance, but lacks the raw horsepower of the newer rides. If you work on your shifts you can probably keep up at any sane speed, but I dont think you would have the top end to match a newer ride. But top end is only good for a quick rush, the real fun is in the ride. Enjoy it bro, and get some pics up.

Welcome to KF!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Suzuki doesn't make a 1450 that I know of. So, if it's a 1300 punched .30 ....NO, you will not even come close to keeping up with that busa. lol

Prom is right. Learn your ride, learn yours and the bike's limits, learn to shift in the correct rpm range, etc...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I know i was just wondering and its a old bike like early 80s like 81 or something.
kevin

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

If its a twin you might have a shot, but real riders know your starting out and have no problems waiting for you to catch up, course most of them are smart enough to keep it on the track. But if you do get the itch to twist the wrist you have to be careful, especially on these old bikes. I tried keeping up with my buddies '02 CBR 929 on my '89 ZX7 and I did pretty well until my rear tire separated from the rim at 140. Double check your work, even if your just going highway speeds, if something fails it could be catastrophic. If I have any doubts about my skills, road conditions, or mechanical condition of my ride, I always hang back, you'd be suprised how quickly you catch back up. Have fun, and keep her shiny side up

Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya we will see.

So i cleaned the carbs and bent the butterfly back as good as i could its not bad. I went to put it back on and now i for get where the 3 cables hooked up? Can anyone help?
thanks
kevin

Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, 3 cables. Two should be for the throttle control and the other may be for the choke control.

Quick Reply: ZX/ GPZ 1000! starting problem