General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZR-7S Fuel leaking from top of tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

if your gonna be taking the cap assembly apart go to www.bikebandit.com look at the diagram and make sure all peices are there as you take it apart. just my two cents. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, so i removed the tank and drained it once again. The metal tube that ran through the tank, routed town to a metal outlet at the oppasite end of the tank as the little
black box with the rubber hose connected to it. So I removed the cap, and a little fuel came out. I figured it was just there from not being able to vent. I removed the filler cap assymbly and there was silicone where the metal tube comes out on the top of the tank. I unplugged the hole reasymbled everything and let the bike run at high idle for a
good 10-15min. no fuel leaks!!! yeah! well now its time to ride. It will not let me have any throttle at all. With the choke on all the way it will idle 5-6k rpm. and won't let me throttle up. with the choke off it will idle but still no throttle. WTF, somehow me and my brother found that if we put a restriction on the intake aka my hand, it runs good. So I thought it had something to do with vacuum in the intake or something. So I put everything back the way it was. When I shut off the bike, All the fuel that used to come out of the cap is now puring out of the new found and unplugged vent tube. ????? It runs ok now that it is back together. But it dosen't seem right. no top end power at all.
any ideas???

Kyle

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

on page 2-25 of your manual. Fuel level sensor wire connector [A], etc and the pic included with the vent hose....fuel tap cleaning...and you have inspected the CA Cannister?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have a manual to look at, the kid i bought the bike from lost everything. tool kit
ect...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

you need a MOM bro!

motorcycle owners manual

Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a mirror found two unrepairable cracks in the metal vent hose and started to price fuel tanks. No used tanks exept for 1 callifornia emmissions tank which does me no good. brand new with a discount $700. So I have the damaged section of tube removed with a little bit of feness with a hacksaw blade. and am going to splice in a piece of rubber fuel line and prey there are no other cracks. Supposed to be 70 tomorrow so hopefully this works.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

That sounds like what also happens to some ZRX tanks. The vent line inside the tank eventually cracks. This causes fuel to come out the overflow hose at the back of the tank. I had this happen to my ZRX and I plugged the overflow drain at the bottom of the tank which sounds like what some one else did to youor ZR-7. BUT, you also have to plug the drain in the fuel cap area of the tank. If you look at the drain area, you can see a small hole that will allow the fuel to drain if overfilled. This must be plugged also, if not the fuel will come out the top even if the tank is not full. Now, the problem is if you plug both those drains, the tank cannot vent. You will need to vent the gas cap. That is a PITA but doable. you will have to disassemble the entire cap. Be careful, here are some small bearings that help keep the keyhole cover working. I lost mine so I had to pull the key hole cover. But, that will fix it for cheap. For the plugging I used some gas tank repair putty from an auto parts store