General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White GOO??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Default White GOO??????

i just bought myself a 98 zx-6r that had sat for about a year, so i decided to change the oil in it, so i went to the local kawasaki/honda/polaris dealor and got some honda motorcycle oil. after changing the oil, maybe like a week or so later the oil "eye" showing the level looked fogged up, i didnt think much of it, till today, i pulled the cap and there was a good amount of white goo, i cant even really describe it accurately. anyone know whats going on? my coolant level is low too, maybe ive got a leak somewhere and moistures getting into the oil?

Old 05-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Default RE: White GOO??????

Normally white goo in oil means water in the oil. Water in the oil usually means a cracked head or block. Hopefully its just a blown seal/gasket somewhere, but in any case, your looking at a complete engine rebuild to inspect for the crack and to change out the seals/gaskets. Makes me wonder why it was sitting for a year...

Old 05-30-2005, 10:32 PM

holy **** this sucks!! if it is indeed cracked, im screwed, F$%K!! i really hope youre wrong! how much does a head go for usually? also, a block can be sealed up with jb weld cant it?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 PM

I hope I'm wrong too. I don't know what the prices are for heads, but I don't think you can fix it using JB weld. Cause you will have to seal the whole crack, and not just the surface of it. I know there are places out there that you can get a good working engine from, but you have to search.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:17 AM

alright remo, i took the side panels off, and the gas tank and the air box, and looked around, and couldnt find anything on the surface where oil might be able to get out or anything, so that leaves the head gasket or the coolant sleeves, i filled the reservoir full of coolant, and drained all the oil, then pulled the clutch cover and cleaned it out (wiped it clean, no i didnt use water!!) what i think i will do is either flush the oil through and try and get more of the goo out, then do an oil change, or just run it and see what happens. i have to run it anyway to see if the coolant level goes down any, maybe i could be VERY lucky and some moisture got in when it sat?, but anyway wish me luck! also, i just gave it a quick try, but i had trouble getting the clutch cover back on right, i could get the cover on, but the actuator pin doesnt want to go, is there any tricks?

Old 05-31-2005, 08:46 AM

I hope your right about the moisture!! That sounds like a good plan to run new stuff through and see if the goo returns. I got my fingers crossed with you! As far as the pin goes, I don't know of any tricks that would help for that. Maybe someone else has the answer for that one.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, might just be moisture. If there was no "goo" in the oil when you changed it, then I would think that some moisture got in. That is the cheapest solution

Or, like Remo said, might be the headgasket. PITA but not real expensive to fix.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I think that its just moistur... if there was a leak I think that you would see more in the case or out of the tail pipe..

I would go to the store and get some real cheep oil enough to do two oil changes.. change the oil thats in there now.. then ride the bike for 100 miles.. come back and don't let the bike cool down.. change the oil and repeat to process again.. then get some good oil run it for a wile and see what comes of it..

I know cars and bike are different.. but I see the "white goo" all the time at work when changing oil.. nothing to major.. but something to keep a eye on..

Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 AM

Maybe you could try to pressure test your cooling system and if the pressure drops you have a leak somewhere. Could be into the engine or it could be somewhere else. Another thing I've seen done is take some dye that glows under a black light. Change the oil, put the dye in the coolant, run the bike for a bit (maybe a day) then drain the oil. If the oil glows under a black light you have a coolant leak into the oil somewhere. If you change the head gasket and get the same problem then the block is probably cracked. If the block is cracked somewhere you can get it mag particle inspected or liquid dye penetrant inspected and the crack could be welded up. But just finding a used engine somewhere might be easier and cheaper. Dont take my word on the head gasket thing cause it might be something simpler. I don't know these small motorcycle engines very well.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 PM

i changed the oil yesterday, after cleaning the whole clutch area real good, ran it for a while, till it was about half way on the digital guage(5 blocks) then let it sit cuz i didnt see anything wrong. sure enough this morning, the oil viewer looks fogged up again. so today i was looking for head gaskets online and came across this steelseal stuff, i guess you put it in your coolant and it seals up everything from head gaskets to blocks, anyone heared of it? im not quite sure if it will work on a bike the site is http://www.steelseal.com

Quick Reply: White GOO??????