General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

When KLX250 on stand and in gear, rides rough.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Default When KLX250 on stand and in gear, rides rough.

Hey guys, had my 2012 KLX250s for about 2 months now. I had it up on a block and was adjusting/lubricating chain. Put it in gear and let it do it's thing but I noticed that it seemed to be jumpy and make some strange noises. Its not jumpy in any uniform manner but once in awhile it just seems to get rough and shake the entire bike and make some strange noise.

I took a video of it, here is the link:

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

The jerkiness you may be experiencing is normal. There is no load on the drive line, the single tends to have inconsistency in smooth spinning due to nature of the single, causing constant variation in speed of the crank.

This, in turn will cause the sort of snatching of the drive line due to the clearances in the primary drive, the gear box, and the chain slack required. The back wheel will just plain not run smoothly. If you lightly held the rear brake to put a load on the drive line it would smooth out, although you might need a touch of throttle to keep from stalling it. That same thing is why there is a jerkiness when trying to do extremely slow maneuvers with the clutch engaged.

Four cylinders will smooth out with less ******, but still are not perfectly smooth.

I think that answers your question.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM

That is great! Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by klx678
The jerkiness you may be experiencing is normal. There is no load on the drive line, the single tends to have inconsistency in smooth spinning due to nature of the single, causing constant variation in speed of the crank.

This, in turn will cause the sort of snatching of the drive line due to the clearances in the primary drive, the gear box, and the chain slack required. The back wheel will just plain not run smoothly. If you lightly held the rear brake to put a load on the drive line it would smooth out, although you might need a touch of throttle to keep from stalling it. That same thing is why there is a jerkiness when trying to do extremely slow maneuvers with the clutch engaged.

Four cylinders will smooth out with less ******, but still are not perfectly smooth.

I think that answers your question.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Makes lubing the chain a whole lot easier - doesn't it!