General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wheel alignment problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wheel alignment problems

it doesn't look like its twisted, it just looks i'm turning everything to the right slightly. when I measure the forks, do i measure the entire length of the fork or just the bottom half? I measured the distance from the top of the tree to the middle clamp and all sides were equal and i measured the remaining distance of the bottom fork legs and they were equal. when i adjusted the rear wheel by trail and error, i got to where the front end was straight again, but i was off by a mark and a half on the swingarm and the tire was starting to rub against the chain guard. reguardless of the tire alignment, the rear tire/chain seems to track fine. I took a wall laser and ran it down the chain and it was pretty straight. currently the rear tire is equally adjusted according to marks.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: walight01

it doesn't look like its twisted, it just looks i'm turning everything to the right slightly. when I measure the forks, do i measure the entire length of the fork or just the bottom half? I measured the distance from the top of the tree to the middle clamp and all sides were equal and i measured the remaining distance of the bottom fork legs and they were equal. when i adjusted the rear wheel by trail and error, i got to where the front end was straight again, but i was off by a mark and a half on the swingarm and the tire was starting to rub against the chain guard. reguardless of the tire alignment, the rear tire/chain seems to track fine. I took a wall laser and ran it down the chain and it was pretty straight. currently the rear tire is equally adjusted according to marks.
your laser would have to be mounted straight and on you rear sprocket to properly align the rear wheel. You’re not just making sure your chain is straight which it is and this is why the tools work, but your measuring device being laser or mechanical, the one I prefer, is attached correctly and straight on the rear sprocket.

Did you check the clipons to make sure they are not out of adjustment? That does sound like the most probable cause to the problem you have described.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: evil636

and if you have some strong rafters in the garage and some tiedown, you have the perfect set up to check this, basically suspend the front end from the top tree and get the tire off the ground about an inch and losen all the bolts, make your adjustments and lower the bike so the fors assenbly isnt hanging but the weight of the bike is not on it and tighten the tree nuts back up.
Interesting, I guess this is assuming that the bike is sitting plumb right. How do you know this?

Explain or elaborate, enquiring minds want to know!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

when i look at the top of the tree it looks turned, when i look down to the fender, it looks turned. would a clipon cause this?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you are placing the clipons so they look straight it would. Make the wheel and tree straight and check how the clipons look.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

and if you have some strong rafters in the garage and some tiedown, you have the perfect set up to check this, basically suspend the front end from the top tree and get the tire off the ground about an inch and losen all the bolts, make your adjustments and lower the bike so the fors assenbly isnt hanging but the weight of the bike is not on it and tighten the tree nuts back up.
Interesting, I guess this is assuming that the bike is sitting plumb right. How do you know this?

Explain or elaborate, enquiring minds want to know!

i know this because i had a few fork legs twist in the trees and its more common with dirt bikes. and this is now i fixed it on my street bikes. you can even use a rear stand and a cherry picker. the front end needs to be relieved of any down force so that when the trees are loosend, the fork legs will automatically spin back into position, caused by the front axle and such. keep in mind your not removing the bolts completly from the trees and wanting the fork legs to actually slide out of the trees, thats why i say to keep the front end elivated but close to the ground as people that have never done this tend to go overboard. (buddy with a dirtbike lost his legs. lol) most of the time you can tell what leg is twisted and you only need to loosen that one side. the bike doesnt have to be plumb, but youll need to pick a refrence point on each side of the bike and use the rim as a starting point. if you good with geomitry, you can draw a guide on the floor and do all kinds of crazy stuff. i did this to check setting and see how much the bike moved from before a track day and after. some bikes just wad the hell up. i learned a few tricks and at home bike set up from the guys at gmd computrac when they were in palmdale ca. i dont know if there still there but they had the know how.

if you need to take off the fairing to acomplish this then by all means, do it. but from what your saying, being the legs are straight and everything else is good, your bars must be off. but also note that if the legs are twisted, it will throw the bars off big time.

ns, did i answer your questions ?

wall, go take a pic of this oddball bike.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

I think so, I was not asking how you knew this but more rather how do you now the bike is level. But being level des not seem to be concern anymore.

I guess by loosening the tree and taking the pressure off the front wheel allows the forks to realign because they are connected to the front wheel and it basically forces it back to where it should be. Right!

If so very nice, better to use gravity than the measuring way I was describing. [sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i wish i could of said it that simple. now, you wanna hear my story on how to remove both your tires with no stands, the rafter way or the cherry picker way ?

Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

i wish i could of said it that simple. now, you wanna hear my story on how to remove both your tires with no stands, the rafter way or the cherry picker way ?
Did I make it diffacult or what!

think I can imagine the suspending your bike from the tree and swing arm lol

Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 AM

i wanna hear the cherry picker story....lol...then the rafters

Quick Reply: wheel alignment problems