General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what do you find in your oil strainer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Default what do you find in your oil strainer?

Just bought a 96 1500 vulcan , i know about thePOG and am planning to replace with a steel one (if i can ever find one) JOG, I changed the oil and looked at the oil strainer , i found some plactic shavings , Has any one everseen something like this in there oil strainer , I don't know if it ever was cleaned before .THANKS

Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what do you find in your oil strainer?

Good thing you changed your oil. I'd encourage the/a steel gear (over plastic) whenever possible.[But then again, I prefer timing gears and chains to cogged pulleys and rubber timing belts incar engines! [:'(]] May want to check the plastic gear for any misalignment oruneven wear which could've produced those shavings, and adjust to spec. Look for any/all plastic wear patterns.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Default RE: what do you find in your oil strainer?

The plastic shavings may have been there since new ? They also may be from the cam chain guides? either way an inspection is needed . This steel gear kit isn't as easy to get as some people think it is , the only contact i found is an email and a cell # no results yet , Anyone changeda plastic gear in the last year? I would like to know how many still have the plastic gear???? there where a lot of bikes sold from 87 to 99, i am installing a oil psi saftey to prevent damage.YES ,you are right i will check again in about 300 miles . THANKS