General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vandalized ZX6R Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Default Vandalized ZX6R Won't Start

To make a really long, sad story short..... While I was out of town some people deemed it necessary to attempt to steal my 96 ZX6R. They cut the entire ignition harness and then wired everything together. Well of course that didn't work at starting the bike so they got mad and turned the entire bike upside down and left it like that. It was found 3 days later because gas smells were coming from the garage. I spent yesterday changing all the fluids, plugs, battery, air filter and fixing the wiring. Oil was all over the place it was a sad state. So far everything is looking better except the headlight still isn't working and I am getting no voltage to the coil packs. I have checked all of the fuses in the junction box, and the main fuse. All of the fuses were found to be fine. When I go to start it, the starter spins up and the fuel pump kicks on, but no spark. Which is where I discovered there wasn't even any voltage being sent to the coil packs. Anyone got any thoughts? I am hoping this is not pointing towards computer problems. The other weird thing I have noticed is that I can't shift the bike up into second, only down in to first. I am hoping once I get the engine turned over a few times and oil circulates this will disappear. Thanks for any suggestions, I just don't know what to check next...

Old 07-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Vandalized ZX6R Won't Start

Grab a test light, a wiring diagram and a cold beverage of choice and have fun searching for the missing voltage!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 PM
c10

are you still using the ingnition switch ? If it is damaged ther eis a 100 ohm resistor built into it that reduces voltage from 12 volts to 6 volts going into the ignitor box . If its damaged the bike will not start . Dont wory about second gear . You have a built in netural
finder switch that wont allow you to go into second unless there is actual transmison gear movement from the rear wheel .

Old 07-02-2006, 08:34 PM

C10,
I am still using the ignition switch, I just fixed all of the wiring coming off of it that was cut. Do you know what leads should have the 6 volts on them? I just went through the wiring again. As far as I know, the gray wire is the ignitor voltage. I have 12 volts on it when the ignitor is disconnected, and 6 volts on it when the ignitor is connected.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 PM
c10

then that is correct . cheak the grey wire back at the ignitor to see if 6 volts is there . it leaves the box and heads to the coils .

Also if the theives continued trying to crank the bike after hot wiring and feeding a straight 12 volts to the 6 volt pin they may have burnt up you box on you .

I am sorry for your mishap