General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

valves bad after bike only a year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Default valves bad after bike only a year old?

I just bought my first street bike, a Kawasaki Vulvan EN500, and it was a yr old a few days ago. I noticed a loss in power and fuel mileage [60 miles per tank], so I took it in to the dealer, and they said the valves were carbonized, and the top end needed replaced! The dealer said it was just bad parts, blah, blah, blah. The warranty is going to cover the repairs,etc., and I took it in the last day of my warranty. So could anyone tell me what could possibly cause this? I am not buying the "bad parts" BS! I dont ride it hard, at least very often, and have had it serviced accordingly. I dont think they ever adjusted the valves when I took it in. Is this possibly the cause? This dealer has been a pain, as far as anything service-wise, and I want to have a little more information before they try to bend me over again! Help anyone?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: valves bad after bike only a year old?

I'd get another opinion from a different shop.

If the valves were never adjusted, eventually the clearances between the cams and valves would become zero. This would allow the valves to start sticking partially open, causing the valves to burn. But, if you don't have a whole bunch of miles on it, that's not too likely to have happened.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Being only a yr old. How many miles?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 AM

The bikes got almost 9000 miles on it. I lost about 30mpg per tank after they did the first service on it but the service manager tried telling me it was due to my "driving style". After I bought the bike , I started hearing tons of horror stories about the service dept. at this dealership, and so far they all seem to be true. I just thought I'd get on here and see if anyone had an idea what could cause this before I go back in there. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I just haven't worked on bikes that much.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What were their leak down numbers? The heads could be an issue so could the rings/cylinders. Was there gas in the oil, etc. 60 mpg/tank is insane.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 AM

I dont know,,actually, I phrased that wrong,,I lost 60 miles per tank, not 60 mpg, sorry. They told me the top end needed replaced, which I assume is head, pistons, rings,, I just have no idea what caused this,,I ride to work and back, which is highway miles, no stop and go traffic or anything like that. On the weekends, its just cruising around the lake, or wherever, no racing or anything like that.They told me Kawasaki doesnt want them to replace the valves, just the top end, and put it back together, and if the valves are out of clearance or whatever, then they will replace them only if they have to. The dealer acted like they would replace them anyway, so they are not liable if something happens, so I am going to try to force them to do so.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I mean that is cool that they will replace them. But without knowing, ie testing with a leak down, noone really knows what is going on. Anyone can just replace parts, but the greatest knowledge is knowing that those parts are the issue or not. Before digging into an engine.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 AM

Yeah, thats what I'm sayin. The fact that Kawasaki is payin for it is great,and I was surprised by that, but i want to know what caused it. The reason I suspect the mechanic didnt do something he was supposed to is the fact that they have been asses the whole time I have dealt with them, and now they are so nice, its sick. That and the fact that they charged me for stuff on their service that they didnt do. For example, they charged me for 2 spark plugs, lubricating my chain, and adjusting the clutch cable, and the rear brake, which I adjusted myself about a week before I took it in for the service. I will ask them for the leak down numbers when I go in. I am so irritated by this, to be nice about it! Its rained here for a month, and finally quit, and now my bikes in the shop for 2 weeks. But its fun to watch all the other bikers ride by!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Wish ya the best. Let us know on the results.
Makes me glad that I can rely on my guys for stuff. ie rear brake. They know where I prefer the lever throw.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 AM

all right,, thanks, I'll let ya know, if I ever find out
! Later