General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve clearances/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Valve clearances/adjustment

wassup NS....Looks like the exhaust side is still off a tooth...Pic 1,2,3 are the important ones. I wish I could tell you an easy way to do it, but I do not know of one. You are almost there. It's funny how that chain and gears work huh...

Once you have it right, and everything is tigtned down, all three marks should line up good.

At his point you need to get back to square one.

I suck at explaining things. Nobrakes is right, it is harder to explain than to do.

It sounds like what happened, is you put the slack of the chain on the non tensioner side. The tensioner is on the intake side, right. So make sure the chain is tought, on the intake cam, to the exhaist cam, to the crank, and put the chain slack on the tensioner side. When you put the slack on the non tensioner side, all marks will line up, until you rotate the motor. Then that slack will cause the exhaust cam to jumpp a tooth, THEN the tensioner takes up the slack. See what I mean?

You are there tho'... and do not try to cheat this area. Get back to step one. If you try to cheat here, it will not come out right. From the pics, it looks like when the crank is at TDC, the cam is lined up right? And the exhaust is offf one tooth? Get back to TDC, pull tensioner back off, pull guide back off. Intake should be lined up. Get enough slack to rotate the exhaust cam one link. Now, the intake should still be lined up, the exhaust should be lined up, and the crank should be in line. If at this point, you want to snap a couple of pics, before re installing anything else, that would be cool. Then we can see all three marks lined up, and see where the slack in the chain is. If all the slack in the chain is on the non tensioner side, when you rotate the motor around that slack has to go somewhere right....It is going to go to the exhaust cam..Does that make sense?

Ya, it is really helpful with pics...The bad thing is, if you saw somebody do it, you would be like, oooooohhhhhhh.....lol know what I mean? Chu almost got it man!!

Old 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Dam it's like you are the all seeing eye lol. The slack was on the exhaust side of the chain, the none tensioner side.
I will take some pics when it all lines up, probaly put them up on the wall afterwards lol.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You realize, NS, that after you get it back together and running that this makes you an undisputed expert and defacto membership in the secret guild. All that remians will be teaching you the secret handshake and the location of the top secret club garage where we all hang out smoking cigars and drinking brandy while we wrench away on our bikes

Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

You realize, NS, that after you get it back together and running that this makes you an undisputed expert and defacto membership in the secret guild. All that remians will be teaching you the secret handshake and the location of the top secret club garage where we all hang out smoking cigars and drinking brandy while we wrench away on our bikes
I eagerly await induction.

Hope there is dancing girls too

Old 06-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

sssssshhhhhh!! You can't ell him about the club yet!! lol

Did you get that thing together yet NS?

Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Taking a break form it tonight.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I don't blame you man.....You got her whipped now tho bro' !!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good progress NS on this situation. Good job also in wanting to do the task that many people would rather walk away from.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Sh%t I think I just screwed the goose. Got home and started to remove tensioner and one of the cam caps on the exhaust. Then I realize that I am not at TDC, so I try to turn the crank and the chain jumps and slips around the cams.

So I put back everything, tensioner, cam cap ect and try to turn the crank to TDC. It will only turn 1/8 clockwise and only back to the starting point ccw.

Know I figure I have got the 2 cams out of adjustment and the lobs are not lined up properly and when I try to turn it one is getting jammed. When I say it won’t turn any farther it wont, I tried to put a lot of pressure on it and stopped before I could cause any real damage.

So do I remove everything and turn the crank with out the cams or what. Dam.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I would just remove the cams, place the indicator in the spark plug hole, adjust the crank to TDC, then start over again.

Quick Reply: Valve clearances/adjustment