General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve clearances/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Valve clearances/adjustment

I will be sleeping much better to night, thanks.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

NP bro' !! Anytime, you'd do the same for me....

Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great walk-thru BR18. Sometimes I think this stuff is a lot harder to explain than to actually do - you did a great job. Also, thank God NS has a camera, that sure helped

Old 06-06-2006, 08:44 AM

What he said... Hell, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never torn down an engine before... I don't think it'd be much of a problem w/people like you around BR... Glad to see you helping a brother out...

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Gerg

What he said... Hell, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never torn down an engine before... I don't think it'd be much of a problem w/people like you around BR... Glad to see you helping a brother out...

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
This is my first time too, and yes the help from BR and nobrakes has been invaluable. I am feel very confident that this will finish well.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock
ORIGINAL: Gerg
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
This is my first time too, and yes the help from BR and nobrakes has been invaluable. I am feel very confident that this will finish well.
Cool stuff... And oh yeah, a thanks to nobrakes for helping out as well. You guys are great. Another round on me! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My pleasure. I wished I would have had good photos to work from the first time I did mine, so I'm happy to share. Even though some of the details were different the overall procedure is very similar from bike to bike. Again thanks to BR18 for navigating the tight curves and hats off to NS for braving the wild unknown and striking off on this journey in the first place! I remember the good feeling hearing my bike fire up on the first crank after having her all apart like that. I'm hoping NS also hears those pistons firing in perfect harmony soon

Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

My pleasure. I wished I would have had good photos to work from the first time I did mine, so I'm happy to share. Even though some of the details were different the overall procedure is very similar from bike to bike. Again thanks to BR18 for navigating the tight curves and hats off to NS for braving the wild unknown and striking off on this journey in the first place! I remember the good feeling hearing my bike fire up on the first crank after having her all apart like that. I'm hoping NS also hears those pistons firing in perfect harmony soon
Amen to that and [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Looked like I hit it until I tightened down the cam caps, now it looks like I may be off by a tooth. What do you guys think? The intake is the same except on the opposite side of the line or arrow.Name:  IMG_0271.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well I decided to go ahead and tighten the cam caps, install the tensioner and rotate the crank. This is where I ended up, the first 3 pics shows where the cam marks are when the pick up coil is lined up. The 2nd set of three is where the pick up rotor is when the intake marks on the cam line up perfectly, the exhaust is still of, looks like by a tooth. Sorry about the fuzzy exhaust shots can't get the camera to focus or maybe I can't focus lol.

Is this expectable? Have I advanced the timing in the 4th pic. I have not checked the clearances yet.

Thanks for the input. I will check tomorrow, I am going to bed.

Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0276.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0277.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0278.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  71.0 KB