General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve clearances/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Valve clearances/adjustment

Yea I am starting to but what are the caps that you are referring too?
I am going to tray and fit the cams, they cam out real easy with the intake first. I was trying to get the exhaust first but it was not budging off the chain at all. Once I grabbed the intake it nearly fell out and the chain started to drop but got caught by the exhaust of course.

Hey if pics of my parts will help just describe what you want and I will snap it.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Caps, I mean the camshaft caps...

On the front cam, the mark should be on #4....On top of the cam cap on #4 there should be an arrow, that arrow should point to the mark on the cam...

On the back cam, the cam mark should be on #2 on furthest right valve on cam..The last cap on #2 should have the arow that points to the cam mark

If the marks line up, and the timing marks in the front of the cam are stilll lined up, then you are good!! If they do not line up, then the crank is out,,

You don't have a pic from the 1st day you started do you of the valve train with the engine at TDC dp you? Preferably a shot of the cams by #1 do you?

I suck at trying to explain things, sorry bro..If I was there I would come over and give you a hand!!

Old 06-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Can you install the cams real quick...Put cams in, make sure timing marks are lined up right, put on chain and gears, then can you snap a pic of what you got? Get a pic of timing marks in front of motor, then of marks on cams and arrows on caps, then a pic of #1 cylinder valves and cam lobes? Do not install tensioner or guides yet...

Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

You are kicking a$$ bro, no problem. I put in the cams and the marks on the cam sprockets are not lining up. Here are some pics. I still do not understand where the other marks are.

I think my goose may be cooked

Name:  IMG_0258.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0259.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0260.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0261.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  58.2 KB

Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Okay, from where I am looking it looks good so far!! I can not see timing marks on gears, but that's okay... Here, in this pic, do you see arrows? See the back cam, it looks like a mark right there..Now when you put on the cap that bolts the cam down, there should be an arrow on that cap. The arrow should line up and point to that mark..

I can not see the front cam too good there..Can you see the marks..You marked the cam caps where they came off right?

Can you look at that cap, do you see arrow on top of it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1248/E8C7B829D9CC495FB70C2FFA9AA8CA87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

See, in the postion the cams are in now, if you bolted down cams, the cam lobes are relaxed on #1...so that means the valves will not be open. That is good. If you were on exhaust stroke, the valve lobes would be pushing the valves, making them be open. Does that make sense? I'm trying man!!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

You mean like this, this is the intake and it lines up. The second is the exhaust and it dose not [:'(]
Do I just need to turn the exhaust to get it to line up, not sure if it will set in properly if I do.
And hell yea your helping, I am pissed at my self for not looking at the arrows when I tore her down. Not sure if the exhaust was like it is know or not. The service manual is great but it also assumes that you know what you are doing. Rock on BR.

Name:  IMG_0262.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0263.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  52.3 KB

Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Perfect on the intake!!! Now, you need to get the exhaust to look the exact same way and you are home free..I thought from looking at the front cam it was out about 5 degrees or so....The reason why it is doing that is, you puled the chain off from the gears...If you would have zip tied each gear to the chain, then pulled it off as one unit, voila, no probs, know what I mean?

So, what you need to do now, is try to rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth clockwise, whilst not moving the crank or the intake cam..Fun, isn't it.....So, you need to get the cams loose, not bolted down..get some slack in the chain, and rotate that exhaust cam..Put back together like you have it, and it should line up.. Once you get both cams, lined up just like that, then you are home free bro!!

When you are rotating that front cam, Make sure you DO NOT rotate the crank!!!

From here it is just playing with the links in the chain to get both cams to line up...

Can you see the crank timing mark? Once you get both cams timed in, I would double check that crank mark, if possible..

Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it is all starting to click. I looked at picture I took with removing the caps and it shows the exhaust lined up perfect. One I get the cam to line up are those the only marks I need to be concerned with? I do not have to worry about the marks on the sprockets like in on of the previous replies.

The learning curve is very steep sometimes.

Your the man bro [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sweet.....Once you get that exhaust cam lined up with the intake cam, and the crank, the marks on the outside of all the sprockets should be lined up perfect....I took you to doing it the cam mark way, because I can not remember in what relation the gear timing marks lined up at....

The cams look good. They are in the right relation to the valves and to each other. Once you get that exhaust moved over a tooth, I would double check the crank mark to make sure that it is at TDC on the crank. The cams are good now. Do not worry about those afetr you get the exhaust moved...

So, now the cams are timed. So, now you need to double check and make sure that the cams are timed to the crank correctly. Even though you are probably close, you can still be out one or two degrees in relation to the crank. The crank is at TDC now, but need to make sure it is at 0 degree TDC. There is a mark on the crank and a mark on the pickup coil rotor. Those two marks should line up straight..Just like the marks on the cam cap and the cam. That is how racers get that advantage and the extra power...by tweaking the crank by 5 or 6 degrees...what they are doing is advancing or retarding the timing...It gives a little more power, more throttle response, but makes the bike not really road worthy. She'll run hot, and you will greatly reduce engine life.

So, ya, once you get the exhaust cam lined up, the cams are good. Just make sure the crank is still at TDC, bolt her together, and Haul A$$ brother!!! lol

Quick Reply: Valve clearances/adjustment