General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve clearances/adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Valve clearances/adjustment

Thanks again fellows for all the help and I will be excepting some more when it comes to the timing for sure.

As far as lining up the marks on the cams I did not see any and will post some pics of the cam sprockets so maybe someone can point them out to me. I did however make sure that when I pulled the cams that I was at the starting point for taking the first measurements on the #1 cylinder. If that helps at all.

I have to say again the examples posted showing how to save the measurements and lay out the parts were a big help, I will be doing a DIY post on this and stress that a lot.

Later.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey NS......

Did you get your parts in today?

Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Yea I have them all but did not get time today to work on her. Whent to the gun show in Orange county to stock up. 1000 rnds of 7.62x39 for $150.00 I took a wheel barrel with me.

Have a birth day tommorw so may not get to her untill monday night.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

At least you got the parts!!!

Gun show..YES!!!!! lol

HAPPY B-DAY!!

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Bigrig, it was my brother in-laws b-day but mine was on the 31st
[sm=partyparty.gif]

Okay timing, check the picture below is the timing mark on the bottom of the left cam and the top of the one on the right?

I did not notice this when I removed them but I did make sure the # 1 cylinder was at the top of the head and the tdc mark was lined up properly to take the 1st measurement.

The loobs on the first cylinder are pointing away from each other, if I line up the marks right now while they are on the floor the loobs for the #1 cylinder are pointing away from each other.

I do not believe that the chain has moved on the lower sprocket, so dose this mean when I reinstall the cams and line up the 2 marks I should be in proper timing.

If not what will I need to do to get the timing adjusted. I do not have a timing light or have I ever used one.

Thanks.
Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  77.5 KB

Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Well, happy belated B-Day !!

No, you do not need a timing light for that R1...And if you lined up the engine to TDC Compression stroke, the crank should all ready be at TDC, so all you need to do is line up the cams, and voila!! Now, are you sure #1 was on TDC Compression and not on TDC exhaust?

TDC will roll by twice, once on compression stroke and once on exhaust stroke. So when you had everything lined up, did you notice if number one had the valves closed? If they were closed then you are good and are at TDC compression.

With the DIS electronic ignition, you do not need a timing light. Which is why even more important to make sure everything is lined up good. You did not move the bike in gear or change rotation of crank at all? Is it hard to get to the timing mark on the crank to at least double check it? Just double check and make sure you are on compression stroke, and not exhaust. If you are timing to exhaust you will bend valves when you try to start her.

And you are right on the timing marks on the cams. There should be an identical mark on the crank also...

Old 06-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

[:'(] I am not sure. I put the shims and buckets back in and nothing else. I will check a couple of photos I took and see if I can see the marks before I removed the cams.

If not I will probably have questions on how to make sure I am in the right position. The cams in the right position

Aaahhhhaaaaa the learning curve.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

If not I will probably have questions on how to make sure I am in the right position.

Aaahhhhaaaaa the learning curve.
LMAO!!! I have pics if it would help!!

1st, make sure you are in compression stroke!!! lol lol lol.......then after 2-3 hours, you can change to exhaust stroke!! lol ....

Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Okay here is a shot of the buckets reinstalled and probably more important looking at the intake valves on the # 1 cylinder. The valves look closed.
Can you tell if the I am at the top of the compression strock?
Name:  IMG_0254.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  81.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0257.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Wow, valves look clean....Can not tell from that pic... Compression or exhaust stroke is going to depend on the relation of the cam compared to the relation to the crank.....I am not good at explaing things, so here goes..

Let's start back from when you pulled valve cover off, and you put the motor at TDC... Now, there are two TDC's right. Compression stroke, and exhaust stroke. Now, on compression stroke, none of the valves are open. All the valves in #1 cylinder are closed for the compression to build in the cylinder. BOOM, spark plug fires, piston goes down, Power stroke...Now the piston comes back up, the exhuast valves open to relieve the burnt gasses, now when the exhaust valve is open, on this 4th stroke, is the the exhaust stroke. Now, if the bike is timed to the exhaust stroke, when the cams are installed, the exhaust valves in #1 will be open. If the cams are installed, and the engine is still in TDC, and the valves are closed in #1, then it is timed to compression stroke.

Okay, so the crank is on TDC now right....I am willing to bet you have it right. Because if you follwed the manual in order to check adjustment on the valves, and you followed the manual, and were able to measure #1 valves, then you are in compression stroke. I am trying to explain the best I can, but prob confusing you more.

Here, this is prob easiest way...

I think you followed the manual on teardown right? So let's say you did. How hard id it for you to install cams and chain? If you cab do that real quick, we can check it... Get to that point, then check this. There are two punch marks on cams..Do you have book handy? Punch marks on cams, face up...Are the punch marks on cams lining up with the marks on the caps? So at this point, the cams are in, the chain is on, and the gears or on the cams. No tensioner yet, no guides intalled yet. Now, if marks on cams and caps match, and the valves in #1 are closed, then you are good to go!! If not, you are 180 out....Does this make sense?????

Quick Reply: Valve clearances/adjustment