General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tire change do i have align?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Default tire change do i have align?

I recently had to spend about 2 years away from my bike so i now have dry rot tires and a rusted chain. If i take the wheels off myself and have someone put my new tires on do i have to worry about measuring for alignment reasons when i out the wheels back on. also i know the rusted chain needs to be addressed but can i do anything to it in order to put off the new chain and sprockets till i move in a month or two but still ride?

Bike is a kawasaki ninja zx-7L3 1995

Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, and good choice representing the 7

If you check the swingarm you should have a position indicator for the rear wheel, make sure they line up on both sides and you should be good. Dont worry about getting it in exactly the same place, just adjust it for proper chain tension when you put it back. The chain definately needs attention, if its just a little surface rust, oil it up and check it thoroughly. If you see any problems, dont risk it. The chain takes alot of stress and has an incredible amount of force if it fails. If you have to ask, you should probably replace it. Have fun, ride safe, and get some pics up brotha!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Depending on the sprocket conditions, you could take the chain off and soak it in diesel or kerosene over night (scrubbing and drying afterwards is recommended) while you take your wheels in for tire replacement. You know better than any of us on what your sprockets and chain look like, so still be careful. As Prom mentioned, there are swingarm marks for chain adjustment. That normally gets you in the ball park for chain alignment. Then sight down the chain as it rides on the rear sprocket to fine tune the adjustment. Some people have tools for alignment. hahaha and they work too. Do not forget to lube the chain after install before operation. Good luck and Welcome to KF

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the help and i know the markings on the swingarm to get the chain right. the sprockets arent bad i can clean them up quick i was thinking about soaking the chain in diesel but i think im just going to get another one if it is alright to put a new chain on old sprockets like i plan to even thought the only shop by me wont. My big problem is i bought a repair book on the bike so i can restore this poor thing to its rightful glory and right between taken of the front wheel and back wheel is how to align that involves a piece of wood for marking width of the front and rear and what not. if i take the front wheel off and rear wheel off change the tires and throw them back on without messing with anything and then get the chain right i should be good right? but thanks a lot for the help so far and i think you answered my question but i want to key in on this to make sure.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The idea is that you dont want anything to get bent or out of place, the peice of wood is there for that purpose. Honestly its unnecessary imo since it would be very difficult to bend most of the parts and since you need to realign everything when your done, nothing should be out of place. I do not claim to know more than the Manual, and will not suggest that you disregard its instructions, however I will say that I have never measured, always took my time aligning/adjusting, and have had no issues.