General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stuck in 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default stuck in 2nd gear?

I should explain that today was my first time getting out of 1st gear since i've been practicing driving around my lawn (1 acre) without a liscense plate so far. I'm now stuck in second gear. i can go up but i can't go down bellow 2nd. maybe i'm just doing something wrong but this seems wierd to me.

just to make sure i'm not completely confused. the shift pattern goes N-1-2-3-4-5-6 - right?

up untill today i was only going back and forth between N and 1 -- today i accidentally went into second gear while cruising around the lawn. now i can't get back down to 1st or neutral which is a PITA getting moving up hill in 2nd gear and i don't want to roast the clutch.

any ideas? am i just not getting moving enough or missing some step in the downshift process?

i can click it up through the gears and back down to 2nd. help?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stuck in 2nd gear?

negitvie ghost rider, 1 N, 2,3,4,5,6

Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, oops, sorry. Standard shift pattern is what mmi86 mentioned.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, if you are at a complete stop, it can be hard to shift the lever up or down between gears. The transmission needs to be moving in order to shift well most of the time.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

rigged up a stand and got it back out of second gear.
hmm - same for all years?
at a stop sitting in neutral if I press the shifter down it goes into 1st - pull up it goes back to neutral.

but while I was stuck in second if i pressed down on the lever it would shift through the gears and up it would shift back.

now i'm confused. lol

Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM

If your in first and you pull all the wayup your probly going to be in second, because when puting it in neutral you don't pull all the way up.

And Mark is right when your stopped you can only be in either 1st or 2nd gear. and the reasone those 2 gears catch is because if they didn't you would be stuck in neutral.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Man, you really need to take a rideing corse before you get on the road. [sm=proof.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

so basicly i was trying to shift backwards because i thought N was at the bottom (pushing down to go up through the gears) ?

makes sense. I'll give it a go when i get home. I've only been able to mess around with it in my yard for a little while each day so far while i wait for my new exhaust baffles for the Vance and Hines. Maryland won't pass the inspection so i can get tags without baffles inthe muffler and the guy i bought it from had removed them.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tdubb
Man, you really need to take a rideing corse before you get on the road.
would love to but the next available one is in september. I probably wouldn't have had to ask such a dumb question if the bike had come with the owners manual. or if someone had explained the shift pattern to me before. But better to ask a dumb question now then try to figure it out myself and end up a squid.

I've been doing fine practicing my sharp turns, my gradual turns, my brake distribution, my quick stop, my rear wheel slide control under accidental lock-up. (but that stuff is more intuitive for me since i used to competatively race mountain bikes)

and to demonstrate the terrane i'm working with for my control: my house as i build the addition:

Name:  CAM_1183-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  58.7 KB

combine the hills with 5 cars and a trailer parked in the driveway and its a tight course. I do have enough flat space to practice my u-turns though, but no figure 8's. I want to get my tags before this weekend so i can go make use of the local highschool parking lot to practice.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

did you learn anything? .... then it wasnt a dumb question the only dumb ones are the ones not asked, better to know than not to know , no worries

Quick Reply: stuck in 2nd gear?