General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter solenoid gpz750r1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Starter solenoid gpz750r1

Hi peeps! Just ordered a new solenoid for ma gpz,the new one comes with a red/yellow wire and a green one.Can anyone tell me which wires in the loom these should go to??? At present I have an orange wire anda black/red wire coming from top n bottom of original solenoid,but as im not sure these are correct as I also have a yellow/red wire and a brown(ignition live wire hanging around that general area.The bike did spin over about two years ago,and have finally got around to getting it restored but cant remember if the solenoid was wired up with the orange wire etc.Have got the engine turnin over nicely by hand on the crank pulley and battery is brand spanker and fully charged.Cheers gang.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmmm, get your meter out. On my gpz 500 and 600 manual and on my gpz900 manual- Black/Yellow (Bk/y) to ground, Yellow/Red (y/r) to the junction box. A white (w) wire from the relay, ties into the regulator and goes to the ignition switch. (3 wires for the relay coil). Of course 2 wires going off of the contacts of the relay to the starter and the other to the battery. The only Orange (O) and Green (G) wires that I am seeing in the harness go to your turn signal and hazard switch. Brown (BR) is part of your indicator lamps, brake switch and horn circuit.

The 2 wires from the contacts of the relay to the starter and from the battery are not color listed, hence the meter to check the contacts.

edit:
The ZX H and the Ninja F series manuals also indicated the same wiring

Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Cheers,got a small voltage at yellow/red wire which increases when you press the starter button so taking it thats the one I wanted.Using an old needle type voltmeter but it does the job. This was the wire I fried by accident(DOH!) so gonna cut it outta loom back to the starter switch n run a new one in then try with the new solenoid as its still not playin ball so think its fried the last time it was started.Cheers for the help.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Cheers for the orange wire pointer,yes yes,ive been trying to start the beast with an indicator feed,lol.Still no joy and when I turn the headstock the voltages are very jumpy so gonna have to take the clocks etc off to have a good clean up root around in that area.New solenoid arrives this week so ill keep ya posted.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally took the loom back to remove the fried wire tonight.Found a feed from the starter button that goes live when button is pressed,will be running a cable off this onto the live of solenoid as I know it to be a good switched feed.The only job left is to run an earth,at present the solenoid earth wire goes into a black/red trc wire but may just run it to a clean chassis earth. Couldnt believe how hot a starter solenoid gets if your powering it up without starting bike! Took about two hours but wasnt really that bad as the first wire I put a pin into to check for starter feed was the right one.Probably have people shaking their heads in dismay but the looms 30 yrs old n allready has about five cut ins done to bypass various cut outs etc and second hand ones are a bit tricky to find.Ill keep posted as to if it actually spins over,and then its bodywork so should be plenty of pics to post.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds GREAT, Cactus! Good detective work!!
(Nothing like wrestling with brittle old wire and hard insulation, ugh!)
Look forward to your pics!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Had the old girl spinnin over nicely so guess Id fried the relay last time,Cheers for all the help,wouldntve dreamt of strippin a loom back but its not bad if your methodical.Will be postin pics in gallery soonish as it gets a bit more back together.