General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sputtering in low RPM help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Default Sputtering in low RPM help

I own a 95 ZX6E. In march I changed the oil and filter, spark plugs, checked the fuel filter, and cleaned the air filter. Its been running fine since.

I live in central Florida. Recently we had a week and a half where it rained for a few days in a row the temp dropped below 32 degrees for a few nights. I let my bike sit for that week and a half (covered) then started her up when the weather got better, but she is now sputtering in low rpm 0-5k. She stops sputtering over 5k.

I plan on new spark plugs again, and I am going to try and do a voltage check on the coils. but after that im not sure what else to check.

I thought maybe its just moisture build up so i treated the fuel. It didn't work. Before I take it to the shop and get charged for a carb. overhaul can anyone suggest something else to check?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Drain the tank and the bowls, put fresh gas in. Possible you got a bit of moisture in the tank (condensation since it was covered) when temp dropped. Treating the gas doesn't always do the trick. I think it's something simple. That's where I would start. Let us know if that doesn't do it; we'll go from there.
Welcome to the forums, Blood.
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

^+1, most likely a fuel related issue as mentioned. Welcome to KF

Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the greet and the info....i had half a tank and filled the rest and treated it but i will try to drain it all and start over, that would be a cheap test.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Default update

ok today I drained the fuel tank and ran out the last few drops till she died. I replaced the fuel only 2 gallons and some treatment I think its called (stabil-ize) or something like that and took her out on the road. I went for a 15 mile ride to wallyworld. this is what i noticed.

There is no loss of power and she does not sputter on acceleration or deceleration only when speed (rpms) are steady (maintained). It sputters when steady at all rpms not just under 5k.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Next test; what do your plugs tell you? Color, deposit type, etc. Take your bike for a spin and run at steady speed to get a good "sample" on your electrodes. (Yeah, it's a PITA) but pull each plug. Evidence on just one plug (cylinder) or do they all look the same? Although I doubt it, you might check for a bad, shorted, or broken spark plug lead. While you're at it, check resistance along the entire spark path. Could also be something as stupid as a "bad plug" (which, ooops, got dropped and put back on the shelf where you bought them. Doesn't take much to literally crack the inner core.)
If you put in fresh gas, no real need for Stabil. I stay away from additives, other than an occasional dose of Techron.
Having said all of THAT, it may end up being some very small gunk in one of the primary jets. You can try just running the hell out of it and see if it clears, but you MAY need to (PITA #2) pull the carbs and check the primaries. (This explains why it runs fine on full boogie acceleration; using your secondary jets.) How does it idle, and how does it accelerate if you stay under 5K rpm; in the primaries?
Repeat after me: Real men run carburetors!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM

jeffzx9~ thanks for the help man. I will continue trying some simple checks before i dig into the carbs. I will try the plugs tomorrow.
To answer a couple of questions that I can right now. At idle she sputters. Its a little hard to tell but sometimes she seems to idle properly.
under 5k if i go really easy on the acceleration it sputters but there is a sweet spot where i accelerate just enough and it clears even when i'm going easy on it.
I have found quite a bit of reading on the web and i am starting to lean toward the pilot jets are clogged. I am trying to figure out how to drain the float chamber, but i am assuming i need to take off the side panels to get to the screws?
Will I need to buy a Gasket set or carb rebuild kit before i clean the carb?

Last edited by Bloodraven; 02-05-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM

Im having a similar problem with my 06 636. I dunno, it could jsut be that its at low rpm's or whatever, but it feels really abrupt.

It happens mostly on 1 and 2, but sometimes on 3rd. When I accelerate and then let off the throttle and let the bike move forward by itself at low rpm it feels like it moves forward in bursts. It feels as if each jolt is one of the engine cycles so it moves like chug chug chug. When I give it some gas it smoothens out.

Is that normal? Am I overreacting?