General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sounds like something's loose and vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Default sounds like something's loose and vibrating

I bought a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 about 2 months ago; a few weeks ago I began noticing some noise that I wasn't expecting. It's metallic, kind of like a spring vibrating fairly hard (though I don't think it's actually a spring). It seems to happen primarily when the engine is slowing down; when I first noticed it, it would happen when I'd released the clutch and gas to shift while I was speeding up, say, to get on the highway. I've noticed it only happens after the bike's warmed up decently (needle's nearing the middle of the temp gauge); it only happens when I'm moving, though it happens whether or not the bike's in gear & whether or not the clutch is depressed (I believe it happens whether or not I'm braking, but I don't remember for sure now).

I doubt it's relevant, but I had to take off the gas tank and tighten a loose hose clamp a week or so before noticing this.

I'd much appreciate any ideas as to what this might be (or if it's even a problem).
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sounds like something's loose and vibrating

Welcome to the forums!! Congrats on the Vulcan......

So, am I getting this right? The vibration sound only started AFTER you removed the gas tank, right?
How many miles on the bike? and when was the last oil change?

Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Default RE: sounds like something's loose and vibrating

Thanks, it's pretty nice besides this annoying noise.

Yeah, it started some time after that. I took off the seat, gas tank, and a plastic harness on the front that just seems to hold reflectors. I've checked the all the bolts I remember removing, and they all seem tight. I THINK it's just a coincidence, but I mentioned it just in case. (btw, it was a coolant pipe - a hose clamp had worked itself loose and some coolant was leaking from the joint. But it was at least a week after I did this that I noticed the noise.)

Currently, I believe ~1700, there were slightly over 1500 when I bought it.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure when the oil was changed.