General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from fluid leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Default Smoke from fluid leak?

Hey guys,

First off let me intro myself, because this is my first post! I'm Ryan from the reading, pa area, just got a 2005 ninja 250 this month. It had 480 miles on it when i picked it up ($2699) and i almost immeadiately changed the oil. After riding a while there were no leaks. I just had the first service done at 915 miles. The bike ran great up t 6k rpm before the service. The tech told me that all the valves needed adjustment, which i guess is rare? Anyway, I took it home after the service and it still ran great. The next day, I started getting a lot of smoke from something burning on the exhaust, a fluid (my guess is oil) running down the front of the engine. It's not coming out too fast, but enough to cause the smoke. Is it possible something is overfilled, or is this a bolt somewhere that is under/over torqued? Any suggestions would be great. BTW, the great info on this forum highly influenced my deciion on purchasing the ex250 as a first bike. Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Smoke from fluid leak?

it could just be oil from a messy tech. Has it burned off yet or dose it still continue to smoke. If it is a leak you should be able to find it, check and make sure the filter is properly secured.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum.... great choice on the 250...... post some pics when you have the chance... not to get to the matter at hand.... well that bike should still have a warrenty.... i would take it to a different stealership and have them look at it... if you had the oil changed by the shop they maybe be pulling a fast one, by leaving something loose..... i'm not trying to say anything but it's hard to find a shop that you could trust.... good luck....

Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

like MK said...go to another shop as you should have a warranty

Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: txredneckmedic

like MK said...go to another shop as you should have a warranty
Check and make sure it is not a loose filter or slopy tech, they do not warranty that.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 AM

Well, it's not a leak from the drain plug or the filter assembly. Its coming from the top end of the motor. The dealer didn't change the oil; I changed it when i bought it only five hundred miles ago. I've put a good hundred miles on since the service, and its still leaking, just not fast enough that the oil level is below normal. I'll have to clean it up, strip it down and take a closer look. I got the extended warrenty, so I'm good until june of 2008! I'm attaching the dealer's pic, but it is the bike! Thanks again for the suggestions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1821/E12FA19DCB104DA5AFFC231B61DCB0AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Warranty for sure.
Good luck bro

Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Well, I cleaned it up and took it out for an "enthusiastic" ride. Wouldn't ya know, nothing leaked. I'll most likely take it to work tomorrow and check again after a longer distance ride. Maybe the tech got gear lube all over the place and it just had to run off? Oil is STILL at full level.
Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike and I hope that your leak problem has gone away. It sounds like it was just some oil leftover from an oil change. If it comes back, post again and I'm sure everyone will try their best to give you some input.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Probably just messy tech.

Hey MK nice avatar change. lmao

Quick Reply: Smoke from fluid leak?