General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shorty Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Default Shorty Exhaust

Hello fellow kawi lovers. Im a newbi and was wondering if anyone out there has shortened thier stock zx10 2006-07 pipes. if so i was hoping to get some tips on how to go about doing this. Or if anyone has some links to decent how to vids that woulod be great as well. hope to hear from someone soon. thanks.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

No idea on the exhaust, they still had the undertail then right?

Welcome to KF!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM

ya the undertail was still there i just saw a video on youtube where the guy took the stock pipes and shortened them i just dont know how he did it. It only shows the before and after not much help. I really liked the sound of them and cant really afford the akro's yet so i thought id try it out.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Probably wouldn't go hacking on my exhaust unless I had a spare. The other issue is tuning. You'll be changing the airflow parameters, so expect some other related issues. I don't (admittedly) know Jack about the late model EFI bikes. I would THINK you'd be enriching the fuel to air mix, which the computer would sense and then lean out.
My caution is: it's more than just cutting some pipe, so be careful. I may be wrong.
Welcome to the forums! Keep us posted on the details and post up some pics!
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM

never thought of it that way your right. ill do a little more research before i do anything. thanks for the advice man just 1 question and excuse my ingnorance but what is PWI i see it all over and cant figure it out. thanx again and as soon as i figure out how to post a pic i will do so.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Acronym for "." When you achieve 1,000 posts, you are duly anointed with your very own satirically accurate eponym (:that for which something is named). The "island" part is an imaginary place (kinda like Harry Potter; 'cept we ride Kawi's) where those posters with waaaay too much time on our hands (to post; thus, the "*****" moniker) have our super secret meetings, much to the curious minds of junior members. Think of PWI as the imaginary "Masonic Temple" of Kaw Forums. Historically, myth and ritual have been used by groups to bond them more closely, and to separate them from the uninitiated. Since Hells Angels already did the tried and true, scruffy rascals into sex, drugs, and rock n roll, the forefathers (and ladies) of the Kaw forums took a different route. A bit more light-hearted; all in good fun. Plus, we encourage ALL of the forum users to wear helmets, gear, and take advantage of MSF training, as well as track days, to sharpen your skills. We're here to offer advice, have fun, (keep it clean), and be responsible Kawi owners. There are plenty of other trash-talking, let's-see-how-stupid-I-can-be, sites. We tend to be a bit more conservative and refrain from bashing.....well, unless there's a good reason.
Welcome aboard.
Glad to have you with us.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

as mentioned, tuning issues may not make it worth the extra sound. I run a full setup on mine with good results. (I think so anyways....lol) save up your starbucks money and get a full setup.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Good explaination jeff, but I beleive you forgot the first rule of fight club

Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 PM

wow! i dont think i was ready for that lol. thanx guys its nice to be part of something like this and i have posted some pics of my first and new bike for all to see. hey dragone what setup are you using(brand) and how do you like it.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the 650 is one of the few bikes Drag doesnt have, but the 500 is close enough. Not sure on the power gains you can get out of the p-twins but it cant hurt. Loving the old 7, too bad its gone. I ride an 89 and I beleive Drag's is a 91 so your in good company

Quick Reply: Shorty Exhaust