General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Running without a fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

On the old 2-smoke triples, there was a fuel block which separated into 3 lines to the carbs. No fuel pump. The bikes ran fine until you got into prolonged high rpm (in which case you were scared so bad you weren't thinking about fuel!)
Running without a fuel pump can be done for most pedestrian-type of riding. However, the guys above^ are exactly right about high rpm's and fuel flow problems.
I'd say run without a pump until you can get one. It won't hurt the bike, necessarily; you just won't be setting any lap records.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Your carbs are probably out of sync right now, I doubt you will make it any worse by cleaning them as long as your not adjusting anything when you do it.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prom
Your carbs are probably out of sync right now, I doubt you will make it any worse by cleaning them as long as your not adjusting anything when you do it.
LOL you probably right about that... 32k miles and I have no idea what the previous owner did with it... I was reading through my manual and saw that the valve adjustment is basically one measuring tool you use and use the chart in the manual to determine what size shim to replace the old one with and remeasure... is that pretty much all it is??? how have yall faired with valve adjustments if you have done them yourselves???

Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What type of ride are you working on?

oops.
Its a 95 6r with 32k lol...
I like a timing wheel, along with a tdc stop, feeler gauges, torque wrench and new cam bolts since they like to stretch. Your favorite CCT (cam chain tensioner) tool will also be needed. I may add to this later since I am on a Memorial Run and am trying to keep this short. Good luck

Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks!!! I'm leaning towards just takin it all apart and do it right although I be pissed when I see other people riding lol... thanks everyone