General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

running rich? periodic stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Default running rich? periodic stumbling

Hi, I have a 93 zx600c6. I just had the carbs cleaned, new spark plugs installed, and had my idle screw repaired by the local kawasaki dealership in my area. When I took the bike in, it ran fine, just a little idle problem, caused by extremely dirty float bowls. upon getting the bike back from the dealership, it ran fine. After letting the bike sit overnight, i started it up and it was completely bogged down. when reving the bike it smelled like a boat motor so i figure its running very rich, you can smell the raw fuel in the exhaust. After letting it sit for a while the motor will return to normal idle.

When driving down the road, the bike will bog down periodically and then return to normal power. Now the bike with bog down every time i start it. Thanks for the input.
-Justin-

Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums....

So bike worked b4 they messed with the carbs...

After they messed with the carbs, bike doesn't work.

I would say, either they adjusted something wrong.....or there is more dirt/grime in the fuel system. When is the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Did the carb cleaning require any parts? Alot of times, the rubber components inside the carbs on older bikes just wear out. It happens. Nothing lasts forever. The carbs are operated by vacuum pressure. The higher the vacuum, the higher the needle rises out of the main jet to let fuel in. If the diaphragm on the top of the slider has a crack or tear in it, the needle won't rise evenly with the others and that carb isn't supplying enough fuel to that cylinder, making it bog at low rpm, and surge at high rpm. Even stall out on deceleration. Now, if you are confident that the components are in good condition, then the carbs need to be syncronized. Like I said vacuum pressure. When one carb is supplying less fuel than the other 3, it doesn't produce power to the motor.

Hope that helps...let me know...
FYI: a bike is like a woman, the more attention it gets, the better it rides!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM

now, instead of the power coming and going, it is constantly bogged down throughout the entire powerband. Its almost like driving a 50cc scooter. You can somewhat perdict the power loss because the engine note will change to a much lower pitch. I'm pulling the plugs tonight to see which of the carbs are running rich. In regards to the fuel filter, i cleaned them out before the carb cleaning.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

needs sync'd i bet.
mie did the same thing (E model)

if it's not that, chances are the screens behind the float needle were never removed and cleaned. if the float bowls were nasty i'll bet my mom that the screens are, since the bowls only get contaminated if te screens are too filthy to keep things clean.

its easy to access them. but i'd just look at a sync first. try the simple things..lol

i have a few of these carbs at the shop so i can do a writeup if you'd like..

Old 08-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

not sure wh, read the first post. What is a cleaning anymore? What was the float height? The inlet piston shape for the needle? Just throwing that out there to contemplate.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

It was OK. THe carbs were cleaned. Now it isn't.

Synching is a common iproblem f that wasn't done after cleaning - I'll be surprised if it wasn't though, but this doesn't sound like a synch issue. It sounds like it's very rich, and as it ocassionally clears that sounds like the floats allowing too much fuel in at times. Check the float needle valves. They may well have been disturbed and a bit of dirt lodged under one or more of them.

Rob