General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Really weak breaking power

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Really weak breaking power

So I bought a 97 zx-6r(f) a little while back. Since I've had it the rear wheel break has been really weak. I mean I can push down ALL the way and it only applies an adequet amount of stopping power...not fast breaking. I just recently changed the fluid and now my front ones are the same way.

Oh and I blead the death out of both of them. I can not be more sure of anything in my life "there are no bubbles in my hoses"

What can I do?

Thanks for the help - Justin

Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Really weak breaking power

First off if you are not doing any riding in wet weather for get the back brake it is more of a hazard having it than not. On my street bike I put air into mine to reduce its effectiveness and on my track bike I have only a short hose off the master cylinder and very little fluid to get the same affect.

As for the front if you are bleeding from the caliper try bleeding right from the master cylinder. You probably have air in there.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

How do the pads look? Also, why don't you look at some different brake pads from EBC or Braking as both companies make high perf. pads. I recently bought a new 636 and felt that my rear brake was kinda weak compared to the rear brake on my R6 so maybe Kawasaki just detunes the rear brake more than other manufacturers as 75%of your braking should come from your front brakes. You may also want to look into stainless steel braided brake lines if you're not happy with the feel of your brakes.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 50 Slider

How do the pads look? Also, why don't you look at some different brake pads from EBC or Braking as both companies make high perf. pads. I recently bought a new 636 and felt that my rear brake was kinda weak compared to the rear brake on my R6 so maybe Kawasaki just detunes the rear brake more than other manufacturers as 75%of your braking should come from your front brakes. You may also want to look into stainless steel braided brake lines if you're not happy with the feel of your brakes.
Pads should not really be a factor here; even with the pads down to 1% with good braking system you can ruin your rotors due to the braking power. Your fluid will be down a little though.
I agree with the EBC recommend though, I changed to them and have been very pleased.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Well my new pads were expensive..I don't know the brand though.....hehe

How do you bleed from the master cylinder?

What I did was the soak up all the old fluid in the master cylinder.....pour in the new and then open bleed valve, pump break, close valve, release....like a million time to be sure no bubbles.

Wheres a good place to get steel break lines?

Thanks for the help - Jutboy

Old 04-22-2006, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

You can get stainless steel braided lines from Goodridge (www.goodridge.net). They sell both the front and rear lines for your bike. I had the front brake lines done on my bike it was awesome, but don't know how the performance difference will be on the rear brake when you install the line. The purpose of the steel line is to not expand like a rubber line, providing you with more stopping power and making the brakes less mushy. It makes a big difference on the front end cuz you've got a few feet of line, but with the rear brake line being so short, I don't know how much stopping power would be gained. If you've got a couple of bucks burning a hole in your pocket, I would change the lines out.