General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RADIATOR FAN NOT SPINNING

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RADIATOR FAN NOT SPINNING

I HAVE A 93 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX7R AND I NOTICED ALL MY COOLANT WAS LEAKING FROM THE BACK TUBE OF MY BIKE...COMES TO FIND OUT MY FAN WASN'T WORKING WHEN MY THERMOSTAT NEEDLE GOES ABOVE THE COOLING POINT...I CHECKED THE FUSES AND THEY'RE OKAY AND ALL MY HOSES AREN'T LEAKING ANYTHING....WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

Old 07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: RADIATOR FAN NOT SPINNING

I HAVE A 93 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX7R AND I NOTICED ALL MY COOLANT WAS LEAKING FROM THE BACK TUBE OF MY BIKE...COMES TO FIND OUT MY FAN WASN'T WORKING WHEN MY THERMOSTAT NEEDLE GOES ABOVE THE COOLING POINT...I CHECKED THE FUSES AND THEY'RE OKAY AND ALL MY HOSES AREN'T LEAKING ANYTHING....WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

It's either your radiator fan temp sender, or a fan relay.(there might be a seperate sender for your temp guage also) I have no idea where they're at on your bike, but the sender is most likely on your radiator. check the sender first because it's the easiest. if that's not it, find that relay and check it.

Actually, before you do all that, unplug your fan motor, and check the bikes fan wire harness to see if there is voltage once the engine has fully warmed up, and the fan would normally be running.

Does that all make sense?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

See the picture part # 27010, check for voltage here or just pull the wires ½ off the terminals and jump them, the fan should turn on. Make sure your key is in the on position when you do this.

If the fan dose not come on you have to check for voltage, one of the terminals should have 12 volts.

If no voltage is present, start tracing the wiring back until you find where the problem is.
Your fan should be coming on at about 180 degrees.
Name:  radiator.jpg
Views: 3296
Size:  275.5 KB

Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

As said above, slip off the female spade just enough to take a voltage reading. On the sender. It is a switch, so it will close 0 volts at lets say 180 degrees when the tempreture activates it, and opens below that and should show voltage across the two terminals (cuts off power to the fan). If 0 volts across those two terminals at the stat setpoint, the fan should be running.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

THANX FOR THE ADVISE GUYS....THE FAN SPINS SO I TOOK IT TO MY MECHANIC AND HE PUT A TOGGLE SWITCH ON MY BIKE SO I CAN CONTROL THE FAN WHEN THE BIKE GOES OVER THE MIDDLE THERMOSTAT NEEDLE...IS THAT OK?

Old 07-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

It's a BS fix but it will work, problem is you have to monitor the gauge and that can be distracting. Most likely it is the relay that I showed you, your mechanic should have been able to diagnose the problem and correct it properly, shoot if hi can wire a new manual switch WTF.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

FORGIVE ME FOR MY INTELLIGENCE ON BIKES..BUT IS THE RELAY MY THERMOSTAT SENSOR? AND IS THAT WHAT I NEED TO GET INSTEAD OF USING THAT TOGGLE SWITCH?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

No problem just try this below and we should be able to figure it out.
You have to be able to check for 12 volts being present at your sensor, or you can jump the 2 terminals together to check for voltage. We know the fan works because someone was able to supply power to it with the toggle switch.

Look in the picture in my previous reply and find part # 27010 it is located just to the left of the radiator in the picture. The picture is form the parts list of your bike. Now that you see the sensor in the picture go find it on your bike, you have to remove the plastics.

When you find the sensor there will be 2 wires, one is supply 12 volts and is the line voltage. The other is leading to the fan motor and it is caring the voltage to the fan motor when the relay close's at about 180 degrees, it is also known as the load voltage.

Carefully pull the wires ½ off the terminals that they are connected too. Be careful there my be voltage present even if your key is off, turn on your key to the on position and take a small screw driver and touch the 2 terminals together, the fan should turn on. If not then there is no voltage present. If the fan does come on you have a bad sensor and it should be replaced.

Try that and let's see what happens.

Note when you touch the 2 terminals together there will be a small spark do not be concerned it is normal.

Good luck

Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM
1st Gear Member

the relay is a small plastic box (aprox. 1x1/2x3/4 inch) with terminals on the bottom. generally there's anywhere between 4 to 7 spade terminals on it. your bike uses a relay for any electrical device that uses a lot of current. It transfers the current from the battery to either your radiator fan, headlights, horn, fuel pump (fuel injected bikes), etc.

As for that mechanic, he should know better. although a toggle switch would work, it's a horrible idea. I would even wonder if your mechanic has that toggle switch fused. Like Notstock said, bridging the two terminals on the coolant fan switch connector is definitely a good idea to check if your sender is bad.

Quick Reply: RADIATOR FAN NOT SPINNING