General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

QUESTION ABOUT TIRE WEAR??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default QUESTION ABOUT TIRE WEAR??

OK people heres the question and i'm open to any suggestions. About a month ago some drunk idiot tipped over my bike and it fell on the left side. My handle bars don't looked bent. but anyways whenever i ride my bike it seems to pull strong to the right side. And also keep in mind i haven't changed the front tire yet and i've got 7500 miles on my bike... and it is somewhat obvious to see the wear when closely looked at. But anyways when i ride.. i ride my bike strong to the left....and thats where alot of the wear is.....so if my bike has wear on the left side .. then why does it pull on the right side of the handle bars around small turns at slow spends.???? i mean would it be vice versa wear on the left it pulls to the left not the right side?? if anyone can figure this out i will DIE a HAPPY man..cuz its really annoying

thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

636 4 Life

Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT TIRE WEAR??

The jar it took on the left hand side allowed the forks to twist a little in the triple clamps. Use your head stem front lift, loosen the triple clamps slightly, measure axle to axle distances to straighten. Your bike wants to go right at slow speeds because the forks are tilted that way. That is what I would look at first, then get new tires. gl

Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe it puts wear on your tire due to the bikes caster angle combined with camber caused by the twisted forks and now, unstraight wheel. If there was no caster, your front tire could be way off from the angle of the handlebars and it would not matter for tire wear. But, when you have caster along with an unstraight wheel, you suddenly add a camber angle. If you try to fight the camber angle (which is causing the tire to steer one way) with your handlebars, the tire will experience friction on the road surface, and will wear your tire doing so.

This is how I see it. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

hey i took your thoughts into consideration and measure my front forks w/ the bikes frame and found out that there is no slant ....so i checked the air pressure in the front and rear tires and the front was off by 1lb. and the rear was right where it needed to be....so i put air in the front tire ....its suppose to be 36 lbs. but i didn't think that it would hurt to put 38 in. so i did that and it makes the steering a little better. plus i was thikning about what the other guy said about the camber of the roads being slanted and then if my front tire is still worn down a bit on the left side. it would make sense i think that the steering pull me a little bit more to the right then to the left side..... but i'm not completely positive. What are you thoughts about that?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

1 lb of pressure is not going to be your answer