General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems with an 81 KZ750

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Default Problems with an 81 KZ750

Hi everyone. I recently aquired this bike out of my step fathers garage. I don't know the history on it, just that it was abandoned at his house. I have been working on it for a couple of days, and changed the plugs and the oil out. I was finally able to get it started after I blew the fuel line clean, but it still needed a fair amount of gas to keep it going. After it warms up it idles pretty well. The main problem right now is that when you keep it at high idle (say above 4,000) it starts to spit out bluish white smoke and pushes oil out of what I think is the PCV valve into the air cleaner resevour. At first I thought that maybe there was to much oil in the crank case, so I drained it down to specs. It started right up, but I still have that thing smoking at high RPM. I am not talking a little bit, but like I am cooking a couple of steaks on the back. I have noticed it looks like it is pumping some oil out of the exaust as well as still barfing it into the air cleaner reservour. I had hoped it was because it was miss treated a bit, and just needed to be run. It doesn't seem to matter if it is cool or hot. It also dies when it is under to much load, and doesn't want to start for about 15 minutes after. In my experience in automotive, this is usually a sign of a bad valve guide(s) or rings. I was hoping that someone may have a quick and easy solution for me to try. This would be my first motorcycle, and is mainly a project for me to work on. The inside of the engine looks pretty clean with the exception of the new oil, and it only has about 7,000 miles on it. It is an 81 KZ750 air cooled engine. If anyone could help me out, I would be greatfull.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Problems with an 81 KZ750

Welcome

You might check www.kzrider.com They are pretty knowledgable and might be able to help.