General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

POWER LOSS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: POWER LOSS

ORIGINAL: Moose

Hi Guys. I have an Eliminator 125, when it's been left in the cold all night, I sometimes work nights, It'll start fine, and run well for a few minutes, then it'll die. It'll then start first time, and idle fine, but as soon as I try to rev it it dies. I don't have the problem when it's been stored for the same length of time in the garage, if that helps with a diagnosis. I'm new to the biking world, so any help or advice You guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cold and damp? or just cold nights?
Welcome to KF!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Cheers guys. Good to be here.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

ORIGINAL: Moose

Hi Guys. I have an Eliminator 125, when it's been left in the cold all night, I sometimes work nights, It'll start fine, and run well for a few minutes, then it'll die. It'll then start first time, and idle fine, but as soon as I try to rev it it dies. I don't have the problem when it's been stored for the same length of time in the garage, if that helps with a diagnosis. I'm new to the biking world, so any help or advice You guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cold and damp? or just cold nights?
Welcome to KF!
I think it's only when it's cold and damp. As My garage doesn't get very warm either. I've tried WD40 around the sparkplug area, but it hasn't made any difference. It's got less than 2000 Miles on the clock, as I've only had it a few Months. Once I've done a couple of Miles, it's fine. It cuts out when it's in neutral and I rev it at first. I'm not really knowledgable, as I've just started riding.. Thank again in advance for any help You can give Me.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Maybe moisture is penetrating some of your safety switches. ie clutch, kickstand switches. Not even sure if the eliminator even has these safety's. I am just throwing ideas out there

Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Maybe moisture is penetrating some of your safety switches. ie clutch, kickstand switches. Not even sure if the eliminator even has these safety's. I am just throwing ideas out there
Yes it has. Cheers Dragone. I'm convinced it's a moisture problem. It has a stand safety cut out, if I try to move off with the stand not properly up, but that doesn't explain why it cuts out when revving in neutral. I've given all the exposed electrical bits a quick dose of WD40, and hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, I think it's a trip to the garage.
I wouldn't mind, but it could be dangerous if it cuts out while emerging from a roundabout, or junction.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

dragone... about the mercury thing.. the high initial vacuum from slammin the butterflies shut at off-idle rpms will suck that stuff right in there! i've never done it, but i've heard stories..

and as far as the cold weather start/run issues... yeah. you're def on the right track i think. clutch and kickstand switches tend to get nasty after a while. they're supposed to have a dielectric grease that keeps the contacct from oxidizing and whatnot, but after a while, the stuff becomes contaminated with dust, gels up, dries and falls out of the switch. or, it gets pushed to the side and becomes inaffective in keeping the contacts contacting..

the WD actually stands for Water Displacing!

i dunno. merry christmas/xmas/festivus/holidays/kwaanza/whathaveyou!