General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

POWER LOSS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Default POWER LOSS

Hello all,
I've got a78 KE175. Thing works pretty good and I've done some work on it, but I'm no pro, least of all when it comes to the engine. The problem I'm having is occassionally after going into gear and giving it some gas, it will will lag, as if it's not getting enough gas, and just about stall out. I can save it by letting off the gas, but I've got to play with the throttle a little bit to keep itmoving.I've done this when the engine is nice and warm and sometimes cold, just to see and it's the same either way. I've also just played with the throttle when in neutral, but there's seems to be no problem there, only when the bike is in gear. I've got the handbook/manual, though it's a little old, and I can't really find any info pertaining to this. I have not adjusted the throttle cable, as this problem is fairly new and it seems to be OK in neutral, though that may have nothing to do with it. Should I make this adjustment or is there something else I'm missing here? The bike is a 2 stroke, with an auto oil inject system. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: POWER LOSS

Are you sure it's not the clutchletting your 1st gear engage a bitand putting a "load" on your engine? Try adjusting your clutch just a tick.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, by the way.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

if your carbs are out of sync, or the jets, or needle,have worn to the point to where they don't effectively meter fuel correctly, that typically causes fuel starvation under load. that would explain why it doesn't act stupid whilst in neutral. fuel management problems always rear their ugly head under load.

try playing with the choke and see what happens... if the bike runs better withthe choke on when the problem arises, then you may need to adjust your mixture to richen it up a lil bit. the choke richens the airflow up significantly
also, check your compression, just for fun, and if you have access to a sync meter, i'd meter that out, too. just be real careful not to rev the motor and shut the throttle abruptly..doing so while create a high vacuum that'll suck the mercury into the engine..not a good day after that happens...

if you can rig up an a/f meter to test your exhause gas and air/fuel ratio, then you'll instantly be able to tell if your injection system is starting to fail. the plugs alone should be able to tell you "how" the motor is running...

good luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, did not think of that.....
doing so while create a high vacuum that'll suck the mercury into the engine..not a good day after that happens...
I use the analog gauges but trying to see how the mercury will get into the engine.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 AM

whst is the plug gap set at and what is the speck is there a bad case seal causeing the bike to lean out??

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

1. I believe this bike is a thumper (Single Cylinder), so carb synchornization doesn't apply here because there is only one carb, but having a clean carb with clear passagesIS essential.

2. Before you tear apart your carb, make sure to check other things that effect engine performance, such as the expansion chamber. Has it gotten louder lately? is there oil spitting out the back? are all the bolts tight?

3. Check to make sure you don't have any air leaks between the carbs and the motor, between the air filter and the carb.

4. Did you just buy the bike or have you had it for a while? The history of the bikes maintainence plays a big role in what needs to be done to the bike and how to go about trouble shooting it. If the previous ownertried to "experiment" and didn't get it back to stock settings, you may have too.

it's easy to go right to blaming thefuel system, but there are some checks like above that will help you eliminate "simple" fixes. There is no feeling worse than pulling apart a bike and clean perfectly good carbs when a carb boot ring is night tight enough....Or even simpler...BAD GAS!!! Sea Foam is your friend!!!

Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Ooops,
I believe this bike is a thumper (Single Cylinder),
correct. was thinking twin cylinder.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Hi Guys. I have an Eliminator 125, when it's been left in the cold all night, I sometimes work nights, It'll start fine, and run well for a few minutes, then it'll die. It'll then start first time, and idle fine, but as soon as I try to rev it it dies. I don't have the problem when it's been stored for the same length of time in the garage, if that helps with a diagnosis. I'm new to the biking world, so any help or advice You guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

not sure but welcome to KF
ORIGINAL: Moose

Hi Guys. I have an Eliminator 125, when it's been left in the cold all night, I sometimes work nights, It'll start fine, and run well for a few minutes, then it'll die. It'll then start first time, and idle fine, but as soon as I try to rev it it dies. I don't have the problem when it's been stored for the same length of time in the garage, if that helps with a diagnosis. I'm new to the biking world, so any help or advice You guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: POWER LOSS