General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PILOT SCREW ADJUSTMENT TOOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default PILOT SCREW ADJUSTMENT TOOL

I am in search of a good pilot screw adjuster tool. MotionPro makes two different styles; a cheaper one, and a bevel gear driven expensive one. I would rather spend less money on a tool that I would rarely use. However, maybe the cheap one would flex, and be inaccurate.

Any of you guys (or girls) own, and/or use one of these pilot adjusters?

THE CHEAPER ONE:

Name:  15-8119Lg.jpg
Views: 4747
Size:  13.8 KB

THE PRICEY ONE:

Name:  g8013.jpg
Views: 8027
Size:  16.0 KB

Old 09-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PILOT SCREW ADJUSTMENT TOOL

I think that is a carb synch tool? The 3 screws between the carb bodies with the springs used to adjust the carb synch.

I need one too, I adjust the carbs after every oil change and it's a bitch with a regular screw driver.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The tools I listed above are for adjusting the pilot screws.

This is the tool used to sync-up the throttle plates:
Name:  g8016.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  8.1 KB

I need the sync tool also, but it's the pilot screw tool that worries me a little. I hate buying cheap crap, but how often do you really need to use it anyway? I have only needed to use it once. But you never know how many bikes you'll own in the future!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

I think that is a carb synch tool? The 3 screws between the carb bodies with the springs used to adjust the carb synch.

I need one too, I adjust the carbs after every oil change and it's a bitch with a regular screw driver.
why?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

I need the sync tool also, but it's the pilot screw tool that worries me a little. I hate buying cheap crap, but how often do you really need to use it anyway? I have only needed to use it once. But you never know how many bikes you'll own in the future!
if you have the money, get the better tool, it is always worth it in the end. it nice to have nice tools and when you buddy needs an adjustment, he will buy u a beer afterwards.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

ORIGINAL: Notstock

why?
Have you ever had to adjust the 2nd, and 3rd pilot screw with the tank on the bike? It's a B*tch!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

I always do it with the tank off and just use the fuel in the bowls.

Walight: carb sync is part of regular maintenance and after 3-5k it is always off a little.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're referring to a carb sync, then yes I have only done it without the tank on the bike. But when you're trying to fine tune the Air pilot screws, you don't want to take the tank off after every test ride.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

If you're referring to a carb sync, then yes I have only done it without the tank on the bike. But when you're trying to fine tune the Air pilot screws, you don't want to take the tank off after every test ride.

that makes good sense.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I know y they need adjusting, i'm just asking y its a PITA to use a reg screwdriver. I'm not following you on the idle pilot screws. aren't those screws meaningless except at idle?

Quick Reply: PILOT SCREW ADJUSTMENT TOOL