General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

overheating engine = clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Default overheating engine = clutch slipping?

I know there are a few clutch threads on this forum, but my problem seems a little unique. I just replaced the clutch (barnett frictions and steels) and i am having the same problem I was before. Let me know what you think:

The bike, '86 zx1000r, runs just fine when it starts and the clutch does not slip. when the bike heats up, very warn days and idling in traffic, the clutch starts to slip. I think my thermostat is sticking, so the bike might actually be overheating . . . could this excessive engine heat cause the clutch to slip? The old clutch did not look that worn.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Maybe a spring problem. Is it cable or hydraulic?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Oooooops; another new member!
Welcome to the forums, james. We'll help if we can!
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, not sure on the clutch, but I bet there will be someone on here that has the answer.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM

I guess I forgot to say the springs are also new.

Thanks for the welcome wishes.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

barnett clutches are junk, i put a set in my gixxer once and took it the track & they burnt out on the 3rd pass, ive had really good luck with ebc fibers & oem steels with ebc hd springs in my 636, i would pull the clutch plates out & see if they are worn & go over everything & see if you installed them correctly

Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM

I'm sure everything is installed right. I emailed barnett and am waiting to hear if they have any suggestions.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just wondering, did you soak your (fiber) plates in oil for a few minutes before you slapped them together? I've always been a little superstitous; let mine soak in oil for about 10-30 minutes to make sure they are all equally saturated. Call me names; it always works for me.
What kind of oil are you using? (OMG, I'm not trying to ignite the oil-brand thread.)

Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM

No, i didn't soak the plates, but since they worked at first this doesn't seem like a likely culprit. I hope that is not it anyway. Honda synthetic blend because it was there. I'll go cheaper next time.

I talked to a local mechanic and he suggested that I drain the clutch line fluid because it is really (possibly the original) old. He said this could be heating up and gumming up and not letting the pressure plate come in full contact. I think I will try this.

I know this makes it sound like I'm really neglectful about maintenance and possibly an idiot, but I'm really neither (most of the time). Thank you all for the advice. keep it coming if you have more.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

indeed, welcome to KF.

I always pre soak the linings and have always used oem on the clutch packs.

Quick Reply: overheating engine = clutch slipping?