General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OMG - screwed up Oil change bad....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Default OMG - screwed up Oil change bad....ideas?

Yep, as you read down resist the urge to throw up in your mouth.

Why, you ask? I decided at the last second to use my new torque wrench for the Oil pan plug. It was already tightened and when I used the torque wrench, I stripped the Base Pan. As I was working in dimly lit surrounding early in the AM, I realized as I thought, why is this not tightening??…..it must be stripped.

So, I spent all morning trying to find a self-tapping drain plug……nope…

Bought a heli-coil kit this afternoon…….(still vomiting in my mouth). Of course, I had to lay down a gym mat and drop my bike on the crash bar to hold the drill bit in my hand an rotate manually. (No clearance had to improvise). Tapped and inserted coil….tab broke off in base pan …. OMG it actually gets worse from here.

Placed a turkey pan under the bike, let her sit on side stand and flushed 4 liters of varsol through the oil pan….still no metal I am looking for.

My thoughts are so scrambled at this point, I can only trust the process…..after all….there is no fix by Tuesday and I am heading to Americade.

Where it sits now….. I have placed a new drain plug into the heli-coil with Loctite high temp. It seems really snug and the vomiting seems to have subsided. I installed the old oil filter and collected the old oil. In 4 hours, the high temp Loctite will be set and I am going to add in the old oil. Then I am going for a 30 minute spin to get her good and hot.

There is a side filter (lower than the drain plug) and I will release the oil through there on the side stand. Hopefully, the metal will be caught in the screen and I can see it got removed and I will be able to test the drain plug for leaks. This is a significant piece of metal (like a dental pick and 3/16 long).

If this piece leaves the base pan, will it go into the filter…..and stop? Versus making it into the engine?

I am dumb-founded at my incompetence because I am deathly aware of aluminum stripping. Cross those fingers!

So, can I feel safe the metal will be in the pre-screen filter if it leaves the base pan?

At 7 Eastern, I am firing up the bike because I expect the metal to move to the pre-screen filter. Please chime in with reassurance or ideas.

You can heckle me in later posts, if I destroy the engine.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Oh yea, 2008 Vulcan 1500 FI