General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Spark On Right Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Default No Spark On Right Cylinder

Hi, I have a friend of mines 1986 454ltd that I am working on and cant get any spark to the right cylinder. I switched the coils and still nothing.Could the ignitor box be the problem? The left side will spark with either coil but theright side wont!!!! Can an ignitor box just go bad on one side or is it both sides???
At first he said he just put fresh gas in and a mile up the road it started running on one cylinder so I assumed bad gas but then it will get up and go and then all of the sudden cut out!
How can you test an ignitor box if possible??
Thank You!
Jake

Old 05-05-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: No Spark On Right Cylinder

You have a faulty Pulse generator.(pickup coil.) Replace it, and you'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Hi, I replaced the pulser coils with new ones and still no spark on the right cylinder but as I was taking the wiring connectors apart I found they were burnt to a crisp, even the stator wires were burnt together. What else could it be? I ran new wires to replace the burnt and melted ones. I have worked on many bikes before but the only thing I can think of is the ignitor might be bad! Could that be?
Thanks in Advance!
Jake

Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 PM

Hi, Can anyone tell me the way the wires go into the ignitor, meaning from left to right and top and bottom how the colored wires go into the connector? I wiggled the wires and got spark on the right cylinder so I pulled the wires out of the connector to crimp them a hair tighter and now I get no spark on either cylinder. I'm thinking maybe I put one in the wrong spot because there is one that doesnt have a wire in it! PLEASE HELP!
Thanks Again!
Jake

Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Now you went and did it! burnt it up! lol
just kidding. Kinda sounds like the loose connection is in the coil. Once you removed the terminal, just plain separated the coil.