General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No spark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No spark?

Put the bike (EX250)back together and I don't think I'm getting any spark, everything else seems fine as far as fuel, engine timing, etc. but no spark to ignite. Ignition coils and IC Ignitor seem fine and all I can think of is when I was working on my engine I somtimes left it sitting on top of the two connectors that come out of the alternator housing, I believe one or both go to the IC Ignitor. I've overlooked the wiring diagrams and can't seem to pin-point any place else where it would sense the crank position to know when to spark, so I'm guessing one of these connectors sends that information to the IC Ignitor and tells it when to shoot a spark. Could I have maybe damaged the wire and it's not sending a signal? Or maybe that's not even the right assumption. I don't know, I just don't think it knows when to spark.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: No spark?

You have a couple of options to test for spark. The lawnmower way or using your spark tester. Not many have the spark gap tester, so do the lawnmower test for spark. ie length and color of spark.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Which won't help if he's getting no spark at all.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Last night I tried roll starting it and the engine would begin to turn over but it wouldn't want to stay alive, as if it was flooded or like I had the kickstand down (but it was up). But I know I AM getting spark, I even switched out my plugs and IC Ignitor with my buddies 250 but still, nothing. I don't understand what's going on. Tested the ignition coils and they seem good to go as well. I just can't fathom what else it could possibly be, went over the wiring diagram enough.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you try hitting it with a hammer?

Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

What all did you have taken apart on it? Does it catch and then die, or just sit and crank? Did you try draining the carb of any crap that might have been in there from when you had it apart?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Put in new rings, adjusted the valves, 115 main jets and new needles, new clutch, rear sprocket and chain. I did the timing to how the manual says, but I dunno, I'm beginning to think maybe I'm off by a tooth or something, but I don't think I am. When we would try to roll start it would come alive but sound really muffled, if I gave itthrottlethe enginewould die and it wouldn't stay going for very long, maybe 10-15 feet in first gear. Could it just be really flooded? I just don't get it, there is no hope trying to start her off the starter motor, it just cranks until the battery dies; does nothing.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

forgot, put on UNI Pod filters and running open pipes

Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rocketrotary

Which won't help if he's getting no spark at all.
But it would be a start from the original quote/issue.

Put the bike (EX250)back together and I don't think I'm getting any spark,

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I AM GETTING SPARK. So wtf, is my timing off? I could have swore I did it correctly, turned it and the timing was fine.

Quick Reply: No spark?