General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Fuel for me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default No Fuel for me.

Hey folks,
Motorcycle: KE100(1998), 2400mil
I am running out of gas in my gas line A LOT. I have a in line fuel filter, so I know when there is gas going to my carb. Riding down the road I will stall out at any moment(usually about 5 minutes) from the lack of gas.
So, I am hoping to narrow down the problem to either my carb OR fuel tank/lines. Need to know what do the experts think and what does this problem sound like to you guys? Also, I took the reserve switch/lever off and took it apart to clean it and understand how it works- it will not deliver fuel in the 'ON' position, only in reserve. I have taken my carb apart 3 times with no explanation and to no resolve.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

any resolve yet?

Is the 98 fuel delivery vacuum operated while in the ON position?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your filter is too fine and starving the gas. If you wait after it runs out of gas for a few seconds, will it re-start?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Sounds like your filter is too fine and starving the gas. If you wait after it runs out of gas for a few seconds, will it re-start?
Yes and thats the thing... I just ran out of gas yesterday from riding on reserve. I didn't realize I was so low and it turns out I had ran out, then I started it up again only to get a couple hundred feet further on and completely ran out. I will fill up about 2 gallons and see how it acts after that because I really have not done enough experimenting with the bike to come to a very certain conclusion about the filter. That being said, here is a picture of the filter a previous owner put on, check it out. I don't usually have this amount of fuel but I had forgot to turn off the petcock last night..

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
any resolve yet?

Is the 98 fuel delivery vacuum operated while in the ON position?
Do you know for sure there is a vacuum operation on this bike? because if there is my problem is where the mouth of the carb attaches to the lip is not getting tight enough and keeps on coming loose. you see the bolt to be tightened for a secure carb is getting stripped, so I cannot properly attach the carborator to the mounting spot. and because of the bikes vibration it loosens it up everytime, so I think im looking at getting a new screw first then possibly a new filter.
BY the WAy, how long does a filter last(in terms of miles ridden or whatnot)?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

No, I am not sure. that is why my question. I do not have a manual on that newer KE to see what has been changed or not. Remove the filter and test your guys' theory on the filter being too restrictive.