General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

no choke, no go/ air box

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Default no choke, no go/ air box

Hey, me again!! well, I got the damn gas cap off and working again, so that's one thing out of the way..
I put everything back together again, and I got it ('90 zx750) to start, but only with the choke open, it dies when i release it.
So do i need to clean the carbs?? I sprayed some Chemtool in there, but i guess i would have to take them apart huh? I've only done it once.. Speaking of the choke, is that electric or something?? I see the cable runs up to the left handle bar, but i dont see where it connects to. And that damn air box really sucks!! There's a vaccume leak on it now because I can't get the damn thing to stay on the carbs when I put it back in... Anybody have a solution to this, any good ways to rig it up because it is rediculously hard to get on and off.. any info will help.. I'll stop asking stupid questions when my manual comes in the mail..

Old 02-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: no choke, no go/ air box

Really sounds like the carbs should be removed and completely serviced. Sounds like almost of the rubber (boots) are cracked and should be replaced. The H2 is a cable operated choke. There is also a **** on the right hand side just under the frame that will go off with the carbs when you remove them. Forget the Chem stuff at this point. From your other post, you need to totally clean house on this thing. Including all nuts and bolts torque numbers, headstock bearings, fork seal leaks, etc. Sounds like you will have your hands full to get this ride back to basics. Check out zx7rider.com There are more 7 riders inputs there.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Pilot jets. Had the same problem and after properly cleaning them had no more problems.

Important, make sure you can see through them, if you can not see through them they are still dirty. I ended up using a piece of stripped speaker wire, only a couple strands, and ran it in and out of the orifice, no jokes here please, soaked them in carb cleaner for 20 mins.

If you go the carb cleaner spray don't be shy. I used 6 cans on mine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not that knowledgable (if you read my other posts) but what does it idle at when your with you choke on all the way.

Perhaps you just need to adjust your idle to let in more gas?

I could be way off though.

Good luck - Justin