General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No acceleration when twisting throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM

I should also mention, that I tested the pickup coils with a digital multimeter as per the Kwaka manual but Peter Stevens workshop manager said that it is such a fine setting that you cannot tell by just measuring the restistance of the pickup coil connector as per the manual.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

hopefully the pickup coil solves your problem. Just outta my curiosity, what size jets do you have in there now?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:54 AM

Sorry for the delay in keeping those interested updated.
I replaced the pickup coil the day after my last correspondence. It was from an 03 model but the guy at the wreckers said that it was the same for all models after 03. The connectors on the IC ignitor is different between the 03 and 04 models but I thought the pickup coils should be similar as I was told that they were the same, although the end connector was different because the IC ignitors are different. I measured the resitence between the two leads on the 03 and 04 models of the pickup coils and they were in the same ballpark. However, unfortunately the 03 pickup coil couldn't even start the bike. Mind you it did start it once, I thought brilliant, so I reassembled the bike, but couldnt start it again? I reconnected the old pickup coil and the bike started again. Re-installed the 03 one again and it couldnt start again. I have been busy and left the bike, rather frustrated. It too is my only means of transport. Since my carbs have been cleaned twice, Ive tried a another used IC ignitor, Ive tried the previous years pickup coil, its either the pickup coil, the carbs need to be completely stripped and cleaned according to some posts, or perhaps there is debris somewhere in the fuel system. I have no idea but I have had three mechanics / bike shops look at it.
Regards,
Frusted

PS. I am not sure what size jets are in there.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thought you said your bike was a 1994, if it was a 2004 then yes the 03 and 04 should be identical I beleive. Anyway it is possible that you broke the pickup coil during reassembly, but I couldn't say. Sounds like we need to start from scratch, if you can get it to run again, try to get the proper jets and when you install those you can see if they actually did clean the carbs or not. Hopefully that will take care of your hesitation. If it doesnt, try a full tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and fresh oil) its a bit of money but its stuff you need anyway so its not wasted. If you still have the problem I would buy a new pickup coil instead of a used one and eliminate that before moving on. Everything on the list is easy to do so you can save alot of money by doing it yourself, that way you know it was done right.

Fingers crossed for you bother.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Yeh, sorry, it is a 94. I was in the middle of something else when I posted.