General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ninja 500 fuel leak and no clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Time to get out the "pumpkin sucker." Use a grease gun size vacuum pump to pull the rest of the fuel out of the cylinder. Use a smaller hose as/if needed to go thru the spark plug hole. Make sure your crankcase has a way to vent. Sounds like your carbs may not be set properly because the floats should be shutting off the fuel flow when it gets too full. Turn your petcock off when the bike isn't running.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Use a smaller hose as/if needed to go thru the spark plug hole.
agreed, you can use your fork fluid tool for this as well. (The syringe with the hose on it)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the rest of the fuel out by holding some rags over the plug holes and pushing the starter a little, blew most of it out. I have the carb out again and I looked it over again, I tried blowing air the fuel inlet with the carb upsidedown and it didnt seem like any air was getting through, the jet needles seem ok and the floats seem like they move ok but i'm not sure what is normal operational movement of the float needles. The only progress has been that the clutch lever feels like it has a little resistance pressure at the bottom near the handle bar where before there was nothing.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the needle valves that control the flow of fuel from the tank into the float bowls aren't stuck open. Check that the floats are free and not punctured.

That would allow free flow of fuel overflowing the float bowls and running into the airbox and into any cylinder with an open intake valve.

Turning the motor over with the plugs out will shift most of the fuel from the cylinder. Then give it a few turns with the plugs in but the HT disconnected.

Rob

Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

floats are free and not punctured
good point

a hole in the float is something you can tell right away because of the fuel stuck in the float.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

^+1 william. See if there's any "binding' in your needles when you gently twist the throttle.
Just wondering, you're not using some "super-duper" aftermarket petcock are you (like a dual line high-flow Pingle?) Those were pretty notorious for flooding EVERYTHING!!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked out the float needles again, took them out and they seem okay but there must be something wrong with floats somewhere right? To answer your question the petcock is stock but i'm a little confused, if the petcock is faulty in some way it shouldnt matter as long as the floats are working properly right? Is there anything I should do to test the petcock?

Last edited by Weirdo guy; 05-10-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Easy test for the petcock. Leave the fuel line to carburetor disconnected and turn on the petcock. Fuel should flow out of the fuel line. If you're really bored, unscrew the petcock assy from the bottom of the tank, pull it out and clean the filter (gently.)

Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay I think I have finally fixed the fuel problem, I sprayed carb cleaner in the fuel inlet hose and pipe that goes to the float bowls and there was some very small black crud that I guess was enough to hold the float needles out from seating because I reinstalled the carb and ran the bike a few separate times with no problems. Now I just need to fix the clutch problem, it has a little bit of clutch at the bottom of the lever but when I tried putting it in gear while it was running the revs bogged down and the bike stalled out a couple seconds later. What should I be looking for/to do? Thanks guys

Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch at the lever. I'm sure somebody on here can help you with that. I THINK it's just some knurled threaded adjusters on the cable end going into the lever, but if you have a hydraulic clutch, someone else better advise you for sure. Congrats on the fuel flow fix!