General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ninja 500 fuel leak and no clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ninja 500 fuel leak and no clutch

I have a 2006 Ninja 500 that has been sitting for almost 2 years, the clutch has no resistance pressure when pulled, when I pull the lever it moves down on the clutch pivot arm on the engine case, it pulls it forward but the arm doesnt pull back, it just seems like the pivot arm doesnt pull far enough back to put tension on the clutch.

Upon start up it began pouring fuel all over the place. I removed some parts off and its leaking from the air box. I checked the carb out, the floats and needle valve seem to move okay and the carb in general seems clean. I dont understand whats wrong. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. 2 yrs is a long time to be sitting. What did the oil look like when you changed it?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I havent changed it yet, I think it has fuel in it and figured I would change it as soon as I fixed the fuel dumping issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you found your issue
as soon as I fixed the fuel dumping issue.
. There are only a couple of things from your carbed ride that will do that.

Get rid of the gas in the crankcase as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Sounds like you found your issue . There are only a couple of things from your carbed ride that will do that.

Get rid of the gas in the crankcase as well.
I havent found why the gas is flooding up into the air box yet......not really sure what to do next

Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Drain your crankcase. Put in fresh oil to the proper level. Sounds like the case is over pressurized and the path of least resistance is the carbs ie airbox. Check that first

Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

You make a good point dude, i've busy with work and I won't be able to get back to the bike til sunday, but then i'll have a few days to work with it and i'll be sure to change the oil. Guess I should have thought of that sooner, but I was so baffled as to what happened to cause the gas to get in engine. I put it away for the winter with a full tank that year like people told me I should, but I got laid off shortly after and didnt have the money to have it on the road and ride it last season. Now that things are better I went to get it ready and the tank was down to about a third of a tank. Then someone told me not to bother changing the oil til I find the problem but what your saying makes sense. Thanks again for the helpfull advise and i'll keep you posted.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I guess i'm pretty much screwed now, I changed the oil and filter which was full of fuel, got rid of the old fuel, changed the spark plugs, put in fresh fuel and started it up. It ran good for a little while after I adjusted the throttle Idle screw, shut it off and noticed the fuel coming out of the air box vent hose again! Tried to start it again and it made a clank noise and now wont even turn over. So now I dont know what i'm going to do...........

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah, either the hoses are not installed correctly on the tank or carbs, and/or possibly replace the inlet needles on the carbs.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

So it was hydrolocked, I pulled the plugs back off and saw fuel in the right side cylinder but not in the left, does that mean that theres a problem with the right side carb? Then I put it in gear and rolled it on the floor, fuel bursted from the plug hole. Theres still some in the the cylinder and it wont roll any more. Does anyone have more ideas how I can get the rest of the fuel out and/or what the main problem may be? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Ninja 500 fuel leak and no clutch