General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Mule, Old Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Default New Mule, Old Gas

Bought a 2006 mule 3000 with 3 hours on it. Found out the guy had the same 2 year old gas in it and the next day it would only run if I manipulated the choke.

So I took it to the dealer and $600 bucks later it still runs like crap.

They cleaned the carb 3 times, replaced the jets with new ones and new filter and gas. New plugs and a few other things.

The bike idles ok, but once under load it has no power and will only stay running if I have the gas pedal floored. Half throttle and it wants to die or not move at all.

They said I just need to run it hard for a while at it will clear up. Again it is a new bike and I am not thrilled at having to keep the throttle floored 100% of the time to keep it running.

I would gretaly appreciate any advice. The thing is running extremely rough and no power under load.

I have put 5 more hours on it and plan on continue running it to see it that helps like they suggested, but I am pissed to say the least at what condition my bike is in after 4 weeks and $600 bucks.

Thanks
J

Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Mule, Old Gas

Dang! lol... Welcome to the forums....

Only 3 hours on it? wow...... If you hadn't had the carb work done all ready, I would have said. drain gas, refuel with good gas, maybe new plug, and problem shuld be fixed.

Is the place that you took it to reliable? Do you think they just topped off the gas, and charged you 600 bucks?

Is the fuel filter on the right way. Should have an arrow that shows the direction of fuel flow. Is it the right spark plug? If previous owner put in wrong plug, and the shop replaced with the same type of plug, it could cause that. Maybe put some Berryman B12 in the fuel tank and see if she clears up any. Wuld run ya about 3 bucks for the Berryman from any parts store.

Have you checked compression? I wouldn't think that would be the problem with only 3 hours on it. But, if it sat for 2 years, and moisture, etc, got to her, and the ring siezed to the cylinder wall, etc, upon a dry start it could have, MAYBE, done some ring damage. I would lean towards wrong plug, or dirt or sludge in the fuel system somewhere, on best guess. Get the Berryman, pour half the can in, check the plug part number with the manufacturers part number, check the fuel filter, and let us know.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 AM

I will give the B12 a shot.
I have put 9 more hours on the thing and it seems to be marginally better, but still rough and anemic on power.

Why does it clear up or run better when I momentarily pull the choke out a little?

It also seems to run better when the motor is warm.

When I am going up an incline I can pull out the choke and it seems to have more power. Does that diagnos anything as far as air/fuel on these bikes?

Thanks
J

Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

When you pull the choke out, it pulls more fuel thru, causes it to run richer. Which leads to believe the fuel system, carb or both, is either dirty orout of adjustment. Sitting for that long, the tank, fuel petcock, lines, filter, carb could have some sludge/ dirt in there somewhere. It doesn't take much dirt to cause a problem because of how small everything inside the mule/ bike carbs are. If you have the time/ knowhow, etc.....Clean the entire fuel system including disassembly/inspection/repair to the carb/s.......

The berryman MIGHT work....B12 will help dissolve varnish/dirt in the system and remove moisture, but I would bet, as bad as it is, it probably will not fix it. But, putting in the B12, it won't hurt either.

Also, when you are pulling the choke with it running, you are causing it to run rich, which COULD foul the plug or at the least, diminish it's performance.

If it was mine, I'd clean the fuel system thoroughly (sp.), yank the carbs, full cleaning. Check the float adjustments. Reinstall, put in fresh new fuel, check or change the plug, and that should make her good to go.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 AM

BigRig

I pulled the plugs after 30 hours and continual use of the choke. The rear plug actually looked appropriate, not wet or fouled.

The front plug, I could put back in the box and return it to the store and they would think it was never used. I mean it was spottless and I couldn,t even smell fuel on it.

My first thought was ignition but like I say it doesnt even seem to be getting fuel to the cylinder???

I called Kawasaki, but they deferred all tech ?'s to their dealers and were no help.

J

Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If the front plug is that clean, I would say the plug is not firing, or that cylinder is not getting enough fuel. Running the choke as long as you have, those plugs should be fuel burnt pretty good, and they are not. which still leads to believe the motor is not getting enough fuel. Put a little cup under each carb and undo the drain screws and see if both bowls give you the same amount of fuel out of them.

The spark is very simple to check. Check each plug for spark and rule a spark problem out. From what you describe I still think fuel prob. Where abouts in the country do you live? If you are close to the Indy area, I could help ya out with it.

What's everybody else here think?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Talked to the dealer today and they are still saying fuel as well. Maybe a bad jet in the front carb making the bike run lean.

The mechanic is supposed to check it out on his own time since it is still not running right.

I am in Mississppi, but lived in Indy a few years ago in the Geist area. Great part of the country.

The dealer said they replaced some of the jets the first go around. Wished they would have replaced them all the first time.

J