General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to the forum, and carb trouble too...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Default New to the forum, and carb trouble too...

I just bought my first Ninja. Its an '02 250R with 343 miles on it. Unfortunately it was left sitting with gas in the tank and carbs since '03. I got the tank and fuel shutoff filters clean and am going to attempt to tear down the carbs today and give them a good cleaning. Understand first off that I can rebuild a Holley 750 4bbl in about seven minutes and have it bolted on and running within ten, but I have never even seen the inside of a bike carb. Is there anything that I should be wary of as I begin this adventure? Or any specific parts that require more attention as I clean them? I will check back throughout the day to see what you more experienced guys have to say about it. Thanks in advance for the help and it's great to be on the forum!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF Wreckin. one of the resident gear heads should be along to offer up sum info im sure. mean while try a search in the 250 section might find sumthing in there.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,,, I rejetted my carb in my KLX the other day,, Pretty straight forward as far as it bein a carb... You shouldnt have any problem tearing it down since you already have an Idea of a Carb...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums....

If you can rebuild a Holley, take half the parts, 1/4 the size, and you have a bike carb. There will be no difference in cleaning procedures..A couple of tuning procedures will be different. There are quite a few carb threads on here, if you don't find what you are lookin for, just hit us up man.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, a 10 minute rebuild and install with the holley. BS that is too bad *** to imagine that.
Welcome to the forums.
Just get your manual, it tells you what to do. You know how to clean a carb, so do it. This will take you more than 10 minutes though. enjoy

Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you got a good project on your hands, let us know about the progress.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Alright. Got the carbs off, cleaned them, re-installed them in about an hour and twenty. Bike would run on choke. Took the carbs off, cleaned every opening in them with a piece of wire out of a wire brush. Re-installed them. Took only about 40 minutes that time. Runs like a new one! Thanks for all the help and thanks to my girlfriend Meggan who kept me going after I found out I had to pull those carbs off a second time. You guys are a great help and I appreciate it! And As far as the holley goes, I'm dead serious about rebuilding a 750cfm dual flow holley in 10 minutes. I had massive trouble out of a really old Holley that I got used and after pulling it off and tearing it down multiple times I got good at it. I also learned that the old style holleys can suffer from a blown power-valve after one backfire through the carb. Try tearing one down 8 or 9 times and cleaning everything and then finally realizing that your "new" power valve is what is causing the miss, lol. Experience is the greatest teacher. And once again, thanks a lot for the info and it's great to be here at the KF.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

One more thing, I didnt get a manual of any kind with the bike, and didnt get the Kawi tool kit, but the sticker under the seat says idle sets at 1,300. Mine doesnt seem to want to idle well at less than 2000, which doesnt hurt anything, but I just wondered if this was common or if maybe I didn't get some passage in one of the carbs completely clean.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, the smaller of the jets still has a piece-o-crud in there. make sure you pull 'em out when cleaning. theres a tube (called an emulsion tube) thats fed by the jet. clean it good.
Then:
As with any multi carb system, you have to...anyone?....re-sync the carbs.
It is such a small adjustment, that produces large results.
But:
special tools needed and some experience.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup, as mentioned, the emulsion tube is key along with synching the carbs so that everything runs smooth from the get go to mid to high throttle applications. You may as well gear up now on the synch tools. You wil be using them if you continue to own motorcycles.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, and carb trouble too...