General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help zx7r

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Default need help zx7r

ive got a 98 zx7r and runs great but the other day i rode to my friends. then hour later rode home and halfway there i made a left turn and the bike stalled, all power shut off. i turn the key and my indicators dont light up, blinkers, headlight, nothing. i checked all the fuse block and looks good as well as the main batt. ground. can anyone help me out maybe i am over looking something small. any help would be great thanks.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Default RE: need help zx7r

Welcome to the forums to start!! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, now lets see if I can help. I know you said you checked the fuse block and the batt grnd, but on my bike I have a main fuse as well. It is seperate from the fuse block in a different location all together. Check and see if you have this too, I would say that this may be your problem. Since you have no power to the bike whatsoever and the block unser the seat all check good. My main fuse (05 zx6r) is located under my tank, yours might be in the same general area and I also have a spare fuse next to it already.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

like remo said check all your fuses first

but it sounds like you killed the batt. with the blinker

the same thing happened to me.. the bike will run until you use a power source then it will kill the bike and it wont start with a push start.. but will with a jump start from another power source.

the stator (alternator) has probably craped out and the bike was running on the power of the batt.
charge the batt. the run the bike and check the stator for power with a voltage meter.. you should get 13+ volts from it.. if you get nothing there is your prob most likely..
good luck and let us know what you find

Old 06-09-2005, 05:34 AM

Do the stators have diodes in them like a regular car alternator? If so keep in mind you can get normal voltage and still not get a charging current if so. I don't see how these could work without diodes, so I'm assuming they have them. If the diodes go bad you'll have voltage but the alternating current will cause the same amount of draw on the battery as it sends to charge it, since there is no current flow control.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

right alex.. so you should have 13+ volts coming out of the stator