General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need to adjust shift lever on Ninja 250, and a long ride report (i'm a noob)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need to adjust shift lever on Ninja 250, and a long ride report (i'm a noob)

So my ride is now 2 days old. She was getting a bit hungry as the stupid stealership only gassed her enough to fill the reserve tank, at least I figured this out the first time when I tried to get her warmed up. Turned the petcock to on postion (thank you MSF for FINE-C) and turned on the choke to full and started her up. She would go for a bit then die out sputtering so finally turned to reserve "just in case" and that fixed her right up, eased up on choke a bit and she was running fine.

So tonight I decided to brave the streets to get more gas. Unfortunately I live in an area that is probably the worst for noob bikers like myself, turn right out my subdivision there is a stop sign, people turning into my street all the time. Left there is the highway to which I can go for a short while and get to the QT (heh, people speed at this area so no way) and to the right was a relative short ride and a left turn into a 35 degree incline that curves almost into a part of a circle then goes straight, oh yeah, you have oncoming cars while you're trying to go straight, I might take a pic of this weirdness just to show you. Sputtered on the incline and stalled, yikes! Good thing the car behind me was patient. Got gassed up and the ride home was uneventful, even had the chance to go 30 MPH keeping it below 4000 RPM. Shifted as high as 4th gear, hehe.

My thoughts on my riding experience, I really really really need to adjust that shift lever. The boots I'm wearing have a hard time getting underneath the shift **** and I almost have to prep to shift up (meaning I put my foot under there waiting for the upshift). Locknut, rod, ok...how do I loosen this locknut thingie? Which direction to loosen it? Tried using the pliers that came with the bike but no such luck.

Does anyone have pics or something showing what to do and which way to turn to loosen? I would be most appreciative. By the way, I love this sport! Can't get enough of it. Practicing my low speed manuevers and have gotten some smoother upshifts now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Never mind, I figured it out

I'm such a noob, [&o].

Looked at the mechanism, got out the trusty 10 mm wrench and went to work at the two locknuts, released them a bit, turned the rod to adjust lever to desired height and tightened locknuts. There was also this huge screw that I was messing around at first but the locknut and rod thing did the trick. And oh yeah, I got the thing on the center stand. I'm so proud of myself!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Never mind, I figured it out

way to go toad.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Never mind, I figured it out

I am speechless