General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My gear is getting stuck or something??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My gear is getting stuck or something??

This has been going on for a while, maybe somone here has had this problem. I am assuming something is wrong with the tranny. Ok when I shift from 1st to second fast sometimes it doesnt catch and just revs in neutral and when i push up again it like slams in there. So I am not sure what it is but since I only use the bike to get back and forth from school and home which is 5 mins Im not that worried. However, I want to race this baby at the track when Im done with school.

So what do yall think the possibilities here are? At first a long time ago I thought maybe I jsut was missing gear, but thats not it, casue the lever feels stuck then i hit it again and it slams in, feels and sounds like crap, then I cringe and Im like ouch!! I know its beause I bought it off a track racer guy guy. How much would somethign like this run to fix, would I need new tranny, and how much do they run?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My gear is getting stuck or something??

I had close to the same problem, but only from 1st into 2nd at high RPMs...Switched to a full syn 15w50, and changed my shifting style in that particular gear, and no more clunk, and no more gear missing.... it would only do it around 9000 + rpms...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ZUP Bigrig, The same thing here When I am going fast only. Never just regular shift, but lets say I get on it, dunno what rpm, but for sure higher, it misses then gets stuck and I have to force it in and then goes clunk! What oil were you using before? Right now I use half syn half mineral. WHen u said u changed your shift style in that gear, you mean you dont get on it? Cause i want to maybe turn it into a track bike next year, and I dont want to be no the track when this happens obviously!

Thanx
-Funkdock

Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

It had semi syn reg moto oil.. Tried the mobil 15w50 full syn a couple of oil changes ago and love it.. I tried adjusting clutch etc, but no change there... Anyway, I can speed shift all gears except 1st to 2nd... So, if I'm cranking her, Shift like you're gonna speed shift, but at the same time into the shift, give her about an inch or so on the clutch. So hold up on the shifter with pressure with yo foot, as soon as you dethrottle a little, just like you're gonna speed shift, pull the clutch lever in just a little.. No clunk, no missing 2nd..

That's the only gear that gives me fits....all the other gears I can speed shift or clutch shift at any RPM and no probs?????? wierd!! My clutch engages normally, I can start the bike in gear with the clutch engaged and she does not try to roll or anything, my chain is adjusted good, all the teeth on sprockets are good...

I figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it... Don't know how well that would work on the track?? Try playing with your shifting a couple of different ways and see if it helps...

Anyway, shifting that way, I can max 1st now, shift into 2nd, and all is smooth.... life is good!