General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My bike is giving me bad miles per galon

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Default My bike is giving me bad miles per galon

Hello:

I bought a 1999 Kawasaki nomad 1500. The previus owner had some computer problems., he change it like 5 times, and at the end he put one that worked. when he had the bike, he had bad miles per galon, but I dont know if it was before or after he change the computer.

Now that I bought it, I still have bad miles per galon. My mechanic check it out and he says there is nothing wrong with the carburator.While the bike has a hipercharger and bigger jets, this cant be the reason the bike is giving me 80 miles for a full tank.

What could be the reason for this low miles per galon????? could it be that the computer the previus owner put in isnt the right one??? could it be other things????

What do you think???

Old 05-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My bike is giving me bad miles per galon

Do you have any soot at the exhaust tips? How do your plugs read on a plug chop? And some info on low speed, mid and high speed ride reactions will help.

ORIGINAL: carlosventura

Hello:

I bought a 1999 Kawasaki nomad 1500. The previus owner had some computer problems., he change it like 5 times, and at the end he put one that worked. when he had the bike, he had bad miles per galon, but I dont know if it was before or after he change the computer.

Now that I bought it, I still have bad miles per galon. My mechanic check it out and he says there is nothing wrong with the carburator.While the bike has a hipercharger and bigger jets, this cant be the reason the bike is giving me 80 miles for a full tank.

What could be the reason for this low miles per galon????? could it be that the computer the previus owner put in isnt the right one??? could it be other things????

What do you think???

Old 05-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Dear DRAGONE # 19:

Thank for answer..........

I dont undersantd the shoot at the exaust tips.......

two of the plugs looks fine, the other two looks like it burn some more gas. The low, mid and high speed are ok, the bike runs well.

What more info can I give you???
ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Do you have any soot at the exhaust tips? How do your plugs read on a plug chop? And some info on low speed, mid and high speed ride reactions will help.

Hello:

What do you think???

Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

is there alot of soot(black stuff) at the end of your exhaust(exhaust tips)

Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM

is there alot of soot(black stuff) at the end of your exhaust??? not reallie............... actuallie, the bike have long pipes, and they looks good to me, but the bike smell a lot of gas.... the bike stop or runniong, it smells.

How much miles does that bike is supouse to give with a full tank??

Old 05-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Does someone have the owners manual online????is there a website that has it??

Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I do not know how miles to the tank your ride normally gets in the first place. Yes the manual would be a nice thing to own. I would not think it would tell you miles to the tank though. But when it comes to troubleshooting, etc. The manual is a good thing to have. I do not own a Nomad, I do not know where to get an online manual either.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Are you smelling raw fuel only when she's running? I'm thinking you are, which means it is carb time. Float could be stuck, carbs dirty, etc. Def sounds like a carb problem. Have you checked ebay for your manual? If you can not find out, let me know, and I'll find one for you.

I'm guessing here, but that Nomad should reach around 180+ miles or so to a tank on hiway driving... You are def running way to rich.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The computer prob in the past is what is stumping me. Multiple swaps of the ecu.

Hello:

What do you think???