General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Multimeter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Default Multimeter question

Are any of these two multimeters below sufficient for motorcycles? I want to start getting my hands dirty with the bike since i encounter some electrical problems. Let me know if any of these multimeters will work, or suggest one for me. thanks.

Name:  needlemultimeter.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  digitalmultimeter.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, get what you feel comfy with. Same as your ride. If you are not happy with it, then you are not going to be comfy with it. Get something that YOU will be happy with. I prefer the auto ranging meters myself.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Go digital, much easier to read and have built in protections.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Either of them will do fine.

The digital one does a bit more (but you'll never need the extra bits on a bike) and it looks a bit more robust.

I like meters that come with a rubber casing around them - not actually a part of the meter - that gives them a bit of extra protection against drops. Analogue meters can have the movement (and accuracy) affected quite badly when they hit a concrete floor from bike seat height.

Rob

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

A lot of meters will do the same thing, GB is a brand sold in a lot of auto parts and hardware stores. They are OK. I have been using an Ideal (electrical trade meter) for years. However I finally bought a Fluke meter standard meter and a clamp on amp meter set. The leads are incredible. They are made out of soft silicone, which means not only do they not twist, but they don't get into knots. Plus the best part of the whole kit is the magnetic strap which allows you to not have to hold the meter. That way you are not playing chopsticks with 2 leads and one hand.

Plus some good lead sets for even more hands free applications.

Of course that whole set was slightly over $300.00, but work paid for it. Like I said, most meters will do the same thing. Here is an example of a good meter that wont' break the bank.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3099762

AW Sperry is another one that's been around for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/W-Sperry-6-Fun.../dp/B0029V0FO4

You may not need the clamp on amp meter function, but I've owned several over the years, and they are nice.