General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

life time oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default life time oil filters

What do you guys think of this filter? The filter is spendy but if it works like they say it does it might be cool. They claim that there is a 5 hp gain on a Harley. Most of us have spent alot more than that for exhaust for our bikes for around the same hp gain or less. Would you spend that on a filter?
There is a video neer the bottom of the page.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: life time oil filters

do mean the K&N??

Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

No its a life time oil filter. you just wash it out with soap and watter

Oh sorry i forgot to give you the web page. my bad

http://www.gopurepower.com/

Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

it looks pretty sweet. its a little spendy for an oil filter, but in the same since I did pay $500 for a slip on pipe to gain similar numbers.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: GS247

What do you guys think of this filter? The filter is spendy but if it works like they say it does it might be cool. They claim that there is a 5 hp gain on a Harley. Most of us have spent alot more than that for exhaust for our bikes for around the same hp gain or less. Would you spend that on a filter?
There is a video née the bottom of the page.
Any actual documentation for that 5 hp increase? Seems like a huge amount for an oil filter (I did look at their website but couldn't find that claim).

"Claimed" anything raises my su****ions.

Just my own opinion.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am not sure. BMC and K&N make claims also on greater airflow. Does that always happen? No

Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006CTD

ORIGINAL: GS247

There is a video née the bottom of the page.
Any actual documentation for that 5 hp increase? Seems like a huge amount for an oil filter (I did look at their website but couldn't find that claim).

"Claimed" anything raises my su****ions.

Just my own opinion.
click on the more info link on the HD oil filters it the first one on that page

Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Like I said.....Any actual documentation for that 5 hp increase, other than that statement? Any actual dyno comparisons?

The overall message is that it flows a greater amount of oil (and the corresponding HP increase must come from decreased flow resistance inside the filter). In many instances, and that may or may not be the case here, greater flow comes with the penalty of allowing larger sized particles to pass through. How can a filter be better at filtering (removing particles smaller than an OEM filter) and have greater flow?

I would be worried about this product allowing larger sized particles through. You bike might breathe better without a filter in the airbox, but is it worth the likely increased wear?

Just MY thoughts
John

Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ill stick with the disposeable ones. life time anything sounds fishy

Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006CTD

Like I said.....Any actual documentation for that 5 hp increase, other than that statement? Any actual dyno comparisons?

The overall message is that it flows a greater amount of oil (and the corresponding HP increase must come from decreased flow resistance inside the filter). In many instances, and that may or may not be the case here, greater flow comes with the penalty of allowing larger sized particles to pass through. How can a filter be better at filtering (removing particles smaller than an OEM filter) and have greater flow?

I would be worried about this product allowing larger sized particles through. You bike might breathe better without a filter in the airbox, but is it worth the likely increased wear?

Just MY thoughts
John

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...0&dia=true

Here is a link to one of there comparison charts.
I not saying everything that you read is true but at the same time it makes since.

How many microns does your oem filter, filter, and how much of your oil is actually bypassed? I think you would be surprised. there are only a few oil filter manufactures in the world. For example Champion Laboratories makes filters for STP, Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N and many other companies including many OEM companies. Wouldn’t a stainless steel perforated oil filter out flow a paper filter? And if the perforations in that stainless filter were between 5-12 microns, it would make since that it would also out filter a standard paper filter. Paper filter usually filter between 10-45 microns depending on the brand. K&N I believe is around 10 microns.

I just think it is a interesting filter. Most people probably wont try it due to the cost. I have a stainless steel reusable filter in my ATV. It works great, easy to clean and keeps my oil cleaner. If I had and extra $200 I would try this one too.

I have also e-mailed the company to see if thay have any actual dyno results. I will let you know what they say when they respond

Quick Reply: life time oil filters