General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

KZ550 restoration update.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Default KZ550 restoration update.

So far, on my restoration, I have had to order a new(to me) tank, seat, battery box, factory pipes, plus, totally new clutch cable, throttle cable, air filter, and 4 air box to carb pipes. I have had to clean the carburator out twice, the second time, soaking the jets in concentrated carb cleaner.
I finally got the clutch adjusted(see my other post), and the throttle somewhat adjusted. It now runs, with an occassional back fire. Managed to get me up to 40 + mph, in 4th gear. Seems a little gutless, but that is probably a sign that a complete tuneup is needed. No airfilter is installed yet, kind of pointless as there aren't any carb inletpipes.
As soon as the center stand gets here and installed,I can pull the front forks off sonew seals can be installed, and install rear brake shoes.
I am sure the neighborhood is going to get tired of this middle aged, over weight, white guy racing around at 40 mph on a bike with amuffler that has no baffles or packing. Especially, when they are used to me riding a bike that sounds like George Jetson's scooter.
But it is a bike that can be ridden, as my ST is down for a couple of weeks while the seat gets reshaped for more comfy ridding.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KZ550 restoration update.

I think a reasonthe engine isnot having any power is that you don't have any air cleaner(s) installed,and nobafflesin your mufflers. That will cause the engine to lean out pretty badly. Unless you slow down the air flow by fixing the above, you would need to rejet the carbs to compensate.

It looks like your project is gonna turn out nicely though. Keep us updated on your progress. Rock on!!!