General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

kx125 idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Default RE: kx125 idle issue

[:@][:@][:@]
HELP!!!

This is getting annoying. Carb is clean, new spark plug is in, ran it from a still low idle, but it ran.... for about 5 minutes, then it stalled and it wont start anymore.

Now I replaced the spark plug with the same kind I had in it before (thinking it was the same one that goes with my bike, I was wrong. I checked with the manual and it wants a different spark plug. So I'm off to the store again tomorrow.
DO you think this could solve all my problems? Cause the idle is way too low. At this point it wont even start.
I also need to replace my idle screw (or at least the nut on it) the damn thng wont stay tight. After the 5 minute ride the idle screw was ALL the way hanging out, ready to fall out the bike!

By the way, I leaned it out one groove over the middle. It seemed to help it smoke level coming out my exhast. It was a lot of smoke (too rich) earlier.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks for all of the advise so far!

Old 06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Darn it lyn....I figured the carb cleaning would fix it for sure...Did you check the float level adjustment? Did you pull apart the entire carb and clean it? The spark plug could be the prob....Hopefully after you get the right plug in there, it will fix it..

C'mon, somebody jump on here and bail me out!!!! lol lol

Hang tight, there is someone smarter than me I'm sure that will come along with the right answer!!! lol...Let us know how that plug change goes....

Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 PM

Okay, so I changed the plug to the right one.
I got it to start. At the beginning it gave me a good idle. I thought I was in the clear, but letting it warm up, I started to loose my idle, it got low... and lower, and I adjusted the idle screw a bit, trying to save it, no luck.
I restarted the bike, LOW idle. Hears what I found... I could swear, I saw a very very light smoke coming from my bike. I couldnt trace it to anywhere it was so faint, but it wasn't from the exhast, but near the motor.
I tried going into 1st gear, idles even lower, but i thought id try to ride it anyways...see if it's just the low rpm effected... but no go. I stalled before i could go a foot.
Tried to start it again, yet it wont turn over. I'm back to where I was last night. The bike refuses to start.
So i checked the spark plug and out comes the smoke. Lots of smoke coming out of where my spark plug was. Is this normal?
I looked at the plug, and there was some oil looking substance on the tip. Could I have a bad oil seal?

Oh, and I did take apart everything on the carb and cleaned every single bit. I was hoping that would fix it too, but it wasn't even dirty. I didn't check the float level adjustment. I didnt notice anything of about it, could a small adjustment make such a difference?

Thanks for sticking with me BigRig18Wheeler.
Come on people, I know he's not the only one who knows about a KX...

Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you have blow by something horrible......Make sure the entire intake sytem is clear of any debris...Make sure there is not a rag in the intake box..lol....Make sure the air filter is good and not plugged up. Also check to make sure all the emissions hoses are hooked up..You should have a back pressure hose come out of the motor somewhere, like by the valve cover. That hose will take away all that back pressure created by the motor and recirculate it through the intake system. Make sure someone did not plug that off. If they did, they motor can not breath right, and it will cause what you are describing....

Make sure the exhaust is free flowing also. If you have a restriction there it will cause similar problem.

That will be a good case scenario....If all that checks out fine, it could be an internal problem. If all that checks out okay, can you post a video of what it's doing?

Have you checked to see what the engine compession is?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 AM

Okay,
Call me slow, ignorant, or just plain a newbie.. I deserve it...

I looked through the manual again, for the millionth time, trying to find anything to do with idle or running rich.. and there it was, right in front of my face... the Pilot screw!!!

It had always been all the way in. When I cleaned the carb I took it out and counted the turns so I could put it back to normal. Yet I guess the previous owner had it set wrong or something. Cause as soon as I got that screw out, I have an idle! and better than that I got a full lap around the house without stall or bucking or anything! This bike is back in business.

I'm glad this happened though, I now know how to clean my carb, rejet, mix new fuel, change and check my spark plugs, and I made some new friends at a kawi dealer. Not to mention BigRig18Wheeler. Thanks for all of your help. You helped me get to know my bike more.

I'll get you a picture of a happy Lyn riding as soon as I get to a trail!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

LMAO!! You are hilarious.....lol lol lol

It's usually something simple. Oh well, at least you got her going. Awesome job. And you did not give up!!

Definatley get us some pics up!!