General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

KLX300R Strange Noise Top End

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Default KLX300R Strange Noise Top End

Hey there, im new so please dont flame me if this has already been answered.

Recently i bought a 2004 KLX 300 R, Doesnt seem to have done a lot of work from new.

When i first took it out and rode it, i noticed a strange noise, and was wondering if people have suggestions.

One thing to remember is this noise ONLY occurs when the bike is cruising at constant not very high RPM. When idiling it DOES NOT occur, when accelerating or decelerating it DOES NOT occur. Only at a constant cruise.

Anyway, i noticed a kind of ticking, not loud, but loud enough i could hear it through my helmet and over the bike noise, I have had a look around and one explanation is kawasaki's just make noise sometimes, anyone have thoughts on that one?

I am going to check the cam chain tensioner function to see if the spring is worn out or not working correctly.

I also want to check the valve clearances (i have seen the thread on how to do this, it is very concise) but i was wondering can someone tell me what the correct clearance and tollerance range is for the 300R? I have the manual for the 250 but was wondering if there is a difference before i go checking clearances and change what didnt need to be changed.

Any other suggestions on what the noise could be? Am I just paranoid? Should i just take it for another ride to see if i can hear it again?

It did not seem to get better or worse, but definitly goes away when i increase the rev's even when cruising.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

you should notice the Kawi rattle even when idleing if its the cam chain, try lubing your chain and checking the tension and see if it goes away.

Welcome to KF!

Edit: Just to clarify, check the chain for the rear tire, not the cam chain.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

Some bikes have their little quirks. The ignition rattle, the fuel tank cap rattle, that kind of thing. I do not have any help for you on the 300 except to maintain it with the basics as required and get to know your new toy. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Default Clicking Ticking noise when shut off throttle after 6000 rpm

Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? I too when cruising or after shutting of the throttle hear a tickin click noise from the engine.
IU have had on e person say new valves needed, another says cam chain, and an other said the full in some gas stations in Thailand is low quality so change the petrol!!

I also feel that i have lost acceleration power but the bike still pulls 150km/h if i take it to the max- I should add this is a D-tracker X 250- same as a KLX 250 but with road tires basically.

It has a performance ECU and the sprockets changed dropped a tooth for bottom end performance.